Nykhai Williams has his Heart on the Basketball Court

Nykai Williams, a junior at OHHS, standing at 6'7

Nykai Williams, a junior at OHHS, standing at 6'7" in front of a wall

Valorie Santillan

Valorie Santillan

Valorie Santillan

Junior Nykhai Williams (#22) tells his story

February 15, 2019

Nykhai Williams is a junior who plays power forward for the varsity basketball team at Oak Hills High School. Nykhai has been apart of the sport since he was seven years old. His family originally introduced him to it as they were the ones who played the sport years before him. Not only does he play for OHHS but he also plays for an outside basketball team whose season recently ended. He wants to continue his journey in basketball after high school and hopes to get scouted into college afterwards.

“[Basketball has] been in my family´s blood stream [for so long] and I’ve loved the sport since I was five. It’s been in my life and it is pretty much all I know,” comments Nykhai Williams.

Not only does he have to play on the court and help out his teammates, but he also has the responsibility of balancing his academics as well. Nykhai handles his schoolwork by knowing in the back of his mind that if he does not get good grades, he will not be able to play the sport he loves or get the education he needs. These thoughts give him the motivation to push harder when it comes to his grades. Throughout his time in high school so far, Nykahi had found that he gets most of his support for his schoolwork and basketball from his family. 

“My family is there always there for me and they help me make the right decisions,” states Nykhai.

Nykhai was lucky when it came to his jersey number, #22, because it also happens to be his favorite number before he even joined the team. On the court, Nykhai has his favorite highlights that mainly include dunking on the opposing team players. He also likes that basketball requires communication and being a team rather than a single individual. He applies these skills that he learns from his sport to his daily life. While off the court these skills are handy, they are even better when he uses them during game time. 

“It is a sport that gets you excited and communication is key [during practice and games],” comments Nykahi about basketball. 

If you happen to catch an OHHS basketball game, on the court you will see #22 playing and working hard so he can continue to pursue his dream to get scouted and continue his journey into college. If everything works out as he plans, people may even see him in the NBA (National Basketball Association). Although managing school and a sport is tough and requires a lot of dedication, Nykhai Williams is able to make it happen. He loves his sport and how comfortable it makes him feel. There are only good things to come from a relationship with passion like that.