Filed under Sports

A School Record Breaker: Gabriella Martinez

Senior basketball player, Gabriella Martinez, gives insight into her life

Gabby Martinez, #23, on the court at an OHHS basketball game

Greeneyphotos

Greeneyphotos

Greeneyphotos

“We can all progress in every single way. I just want to be better than I was yesterday,” states Gabriella Martinez.

Gabriella Martinez, otherwise known as Gabby, is an energetic student and basketball player at Oak Hills High School. She has been on the girls basketball team since her freshman year in 2015 and is currently in the last games of her senior year.

During 7th grade, Gabby started to realize her passion for basketball. She was originally a soccer player but still felt an athletic pull toward basketball so she had her father train and coach her in their backyard.

Most other students find themselves in a club or travel basketball team, but Gabby was seemingly fresh off the boat when she joined the team at OHHS. Her drive to always succeed and be there for her team helped Gabby become the athlete she is today. Wearing her jersey #23, Gabby makes sure to put her heart and sweat out on the court.

“[The best thing that happened this season] was setting a school record with 27 rebounds,” comments a cheerful Gabby. In all of OHHS history, for the past ten years it has been open, no one, girls or boys basketball, has been able to break such a record during a game.

While she is a beast on the court, off the court Gabby is a very family oriented person. With a small intermediate family consisting of her brother, father, and mother, Gabby finds herself being super close to them. She finds her father to be not only her biggest supporter but also her biggest influence. He was there for her since the very beginning of her basketball career and will now see her off as she pursues other activities.

“I think family is really important because those are the people you are going to have at the end of the day,” states Gabby.

When Gabby is not at home with her family or at OHHS practicing, she can be found at the gym. Working out is a huge passion for her and she finds it to be her biggest motivation. Working out not only makes her feel better but also helps drive her to be better on the court. This helps especially during their season as the girls dived head first into their CIF Championship games after winning their 7th straight MRL title. Although the outcome wasn’t a win for the Lady Bulldogs, it was still a memorable time that Gabby will never forget.

She does not see herself playing basketball in college and instead wants to focus on her studies and get a job. Gabby loves to learn and is actually quite a nerd behind her outgoing personality. She hopes to become a nurse practitioner in the future and with her enthusiastic and determined mindset there are only bright things ahead for her in the future.

Greeneyphotos
Gabby blocking a shot from the opposing school, Sultana High School, as her teammates watch