Filed under Opinion

The High Price of Your Senior Year

How the expenses of senior year add up

The High Price of Your Senior Year

Oak Hills High School senior Crystal Gutierrez takes a look at senior apparel on the Jostens website.

Alissa Paz

Alissa Paz

Alissa Paz

Each high school student looks forward to senior year with events coming up such as graduation, Prom, and Grad Nite. After waiting for three years, and all of the talk of the events, this is the year that students finally get to experience these things for themselves. Though it all may seem fun, the price of being a senior can be fairly expensive.

“I’m excited for all of the events, but not the thought of paying so much for them,” states Alejandro Moran, an OHHS senior.

The most important event of senior year is graduation. The lowest amount is $53 for the standard cap, gown, and tassel. There are also packages you can purchase that include variations of items which can cost as much as $284. For the graduation ceremony, if you plan on having family or friends attend, each person will need a ticket for $6. If you plan on attending Prom, you will have to pay for both a Prom bus ticket, which is $50, and a Prom ticket, which can cost $135-145 depending on when it is purchased. It is estimated that the average student spends around $1,139 on Prom alone. Grad Nite, which is an overall 13 hour trip that seniors spend at Six Flags, Magic Mountain, costs $120 to attend.

“The prices seem worth it considering the memories that you will get for going to Prom and Grad Nite,” says Eduardo Castrellon, an OHHS senior.

Though some of the events have a higher price to pay, you are not only paying to attend them, but also for the memories that you will receive from going. 

“I did hesitate at first to go to Grad Nite because of the price, but at the end of the day it is a memory that I won’t forget,” states former OHHS student, Yaoitzcoatl Cisneros.

Other things that you may need to pay for as a senior will be taking the SAT/ACT, which is important if you plan on attending a college or university. The price for the two tests are $47 for the SAT, and $42 or $58 for the ACT depending on if you chose to do the writing section or not. It is typically recommended that students take these tests multiple times, which will ultimately add to the cost of senior year. With this, there is also around a $50 college application fee. Experts recommend that you apply to 4-8 schools meaning that students might spend somewhere between $200 

When added together, the price of senior year is currently around $1,843. This price will vary depending on which things each student pays for and what events they choose to attend. All together, senior year can be quite costly, but this should not get in the way of each student enjoying their last year of highschool.

About the Contributor