Filed under Feature

Charity Lindsey and Her Take On Journalism

The viewpoint and advice of one journalist

A headshot of Charity Lindsey, a journalist and the guest speaker for OHHS Paw Print

Charity Lindsey

Charity Lindsey

Charity Lindsey

Charity Lindsey is a young, enthusiastic journalist who rose from the dirt of the High Desert to a graduated and working journalist.

She knew about her passion for writing when she was only in elementary school and by the time she had reached junior high, she realized that she had a passion for researching and getting information for her papers.

During high school, her counselor at Excelsior got her started with an internship at the High Desert newspaper, the Daily Press. During her time there, Lindsey was thrown into the real world immediately with little guidance. Although it was scary for her young, bright-eyed self she persisted and ended up finding that the technique had actually given her a more hands on experience and let her figure things out for herself on her own time.

After her internship, Lindsey moved to college at University of California, Irvine. While there she studied for her Literary Journalism degree. While her internship helped her a lot when it came to journalism, she credits college the most. Her writing style became better and more herself while attending classes there. Her trip through journalism hasn’t always been easy, and she continues to face challenges, but she still finds a deep love for it and is open to give advice to aspiring journalists.

“The soft skills of any job are the hard skills of journalism,” comments Lindsey. In usual jobs, interacting with others and writing are just apart of the everyday routine. While with journalistic jobs, those same fundamentals are the very base of it all.

Interacting with others can make or break your story. Connecting with people is more than just getting your quotes for a story, it is also being able to really show who your subject is and being able to make them visible to the readers. Lindsey suggests meeting someone face to face for an interview and if that is not possible, then do it over a phone call. A journalist’s last resort should be an email because it is too formal and will make readers feel disconnected from the person or the story.

“You need to collect information even if it is just small details,” states Lindsey. Every good journalist must realize that in order to capture someone’s aura well enough for the readers, they must make sure that all details are covered, not just the big quotes.

Although interacting with people is a huge part of being a journalist, just because you are bad at it does not mean you would not be able to pursue the career. There are plenty of journalists who actually have social anxiety, including Charity Lindsey. Student journalists and those who have chosen it as a career must put their fears to the side and put themselves out there. Dealing with certain interactions that you might not like is a part of the job. It is, however, also a part of the great experience of journalism.

Lindsey advises aspiring journalists to use their resources, do their best to not be afraid, and to be able to take criticism. Journalism is not an easy career path, but if a person is serious enough about it, they can possibly change the world with just one good story.