Filed under Sports

An Overall Look at OHHS’ Varsity Football Team

Look back into what our Bulldogs have achieved and what's more to come

Bulldog football team together after winning MRL Championship

Elizabeth Harvey

Elizabeth Harvey

Elizabeth Harvey

As the 2018-2019 school year comes to its final semester the football season has wrapped up with the Oak Hills High School Bulldogs finishing as 2018 MRL Champions. The varsity football team had a year full of athletic accomplishments all while becoming a brotherhood for each other.

They started off the school year hitting the ground running. Their first game was against Victor Valley High School (VVHS) with a win 28 – 0. Beating VVHS on their own brand new turf gave the Bulldogs the boost of confidence they needed to continue through the rest of the school year. Their next game was against Heritage High School and was sadly a loss of 24 – 7, but would bring the team back to their own OHHS stadium for the next game against Palmdale High School. It was a definite win with a score of 40 – 0.

The Bulldogs next three games were in support of Touchdowns Against Cancer. The first game was also the Homecoming game at OHHS with a win against Etiwanda High School of 42 – 20. The second, was a loss to Cajon High School with a score of 44 – 22 but the Bulldogs bounced right back for the last game with a win against Sultana High School 35 – 10.

The OHHS varsity team held their winning streak of four games against Burroughs High School (57 – 10), Hesperia High School (50 – 7), Serrano High School (24 – 0), and Apple Valley High School (35 – 26). These wins were just in time for the CIF Championship. The boys were able to have a solid win against Chaparral High School with 38 – 21. However, their season ended after a loss to Camarillo High School.

“Being a part of the Oak football team for the past two years was very fun and memorable. It meant you had to be a hard worker and a role model on and off the field,” commented Josh Stewart, a senior and quarterback at OHHS.

Although many tears and long faces wore on the faces of the varsity team, they ended their year with so much good throughout the season. Not only did they have great wins, but many of the senior players will be leaving Oak Hills High School with offers from colleges.

Jason Rodriguez, Defensive Tackle, received an offer from  University of Southern California and has also been committed there. Ben Kaufer, Defensive End, received an offer from Rose -Hulman Institute of Technology and has been committed as well. David Ibarra, Guard, has an offer from University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff and Rodney Harris, Free Safety and Wide Receiver, has an offer from Central State University. Adrian Tamayo, Outside Linebacker and Long Snapper, has two offers from  Clarke University and Whittier College but has not yet committed. Many more members of our OHHS team have been receiving offers and we can only wait to congratulate them once they commit.

“[Football] prepared me to become more responsible and to always try my hardest,” stated Myles Davis, a senior and Wide Receiver at OHHS.

The varsity football team has worked long and hard all year and now it is their time for celebration and congratulations. The Booster Club will be hosting the annual Football Banquet on Wednesday, January 30th, 2019.

The banquet will consist of coaches and players giving speeches and players getting awards for their accomplishments during the season. They will also be providing a dinner for the players to enjoy as they conversate with one another and fill the room with stories about their time together on and off the field.

There is no definite prediction of the future of Oak Hills High School football but from the looks of this years varsity team, there is only great wins and good times ahead.