Life Skills class with junior Daniel Urrutia

Picture of Student Daniel Urrutia

Picture of Student Daniel Urrutia

Melanie Pina

Picture of Student Daniel Urrutia

Melanie Pina

Melanie Pina

Picture of Student Daniel Urrutia

One of the most important things to have in life are the skills to manage obstacles that one may find in the real world. Luckily, Oak Hills High School offers a class to learn such skills that every person should have in their lives. The Life Skills class allows students to go out in the world and learn about the community. This includes having new experiences such as working outside of campus and helping people in and out of school. In addition, students in the class also try to help each other with homework and class work. The class is lead by teachers, Nicole Bales and Stephanie Barden, in room B-21. The Life Skills class helps special needs students with learning their environment and how to be productive in the real world that lays outside of the OHHS campus. 

Daniel Urrutia is an OHHS junior who is a participant in the Life Skills class. He is full of energy and cheeriness no matter what type of situation he is thrown into. He manages a job and school at only 17 years old, and still finds time to help his fellow classmates and lead by example. Daniel is a friendly face that most students and teachers know around campus who is always ready for a conversation or to lend a helping hand.

“I love to help people out and I think if [me helping them] makes them happy then it’s worth it to see them smile,” comments Daniel on reaching out and helping people in the High Desert community. 

During December, Daniel and his class went to the Foremost Retirement Resort located on Sultana Street in Hesperia. He liked helping out the senior citizens and showing them a good time while also enjoying the event himself. It was one of his second goals to go and help the senior citizens and be with them during Christmas time.

Daniel was almost brought to tears by the thought that most other people do not go out and socialize with the senior citizens as visitors are a rarity for them but they are still people who enjoy company.

“I like seeing people smile and I like to talk and interact with them. Helping people and being there for them and helping out our community is something I really enjoy doing,” said Daniel.

Whether he is helping out his friends in the Life Skills class or just out in the community, Daniel always finds time for people and making their day better. He gives out advice for any situation a person may be in and even offers help and guidance. He loves to interact with the other Life Skills students and teach them things that he has already experienced or learned about.

“It’s like having a second family. We help each other with our problems and we take our time and have fun. There are essentially some students that need the Life Skills class but I think that other students, [who are not] special needs, could still benefit from it,” commented Daniel when asked if he would recommend the class to any other students.