Mock Trial Team Finishes in Second Place for the 2018-2019 School Year

January 25, 2019

Mock Trial students pose for a picture in the courtroom with their official judge

Sent in by Mrs. Boulanger

Sent in by Mrs. Boulanger

Sent in by Mrs. Boulanger

The Mock Trial team of Oak Hills High School has taken on the title of 2nd place among the Mountain-Desert region schools for the 2018-2019 school year. They had an outstanding performance from both of their teams that got the chance to compete in the courtroom. Among these students that took part in this year’s class, 13 of them were awarded with honors of outstanding performance.

At the start of the school year the speech and debate class began their preparation to compete against other schools in the courtroom. This group of students got the opportunity to role play in an actual real life scenario of being in the courtroom, getting the chance to take on the role of someone in the case, such as attorneys, witnesses, clerks, and bailiff. These OHHS students then were judged by real attorneys and court judges.

“They get a chance to really roleplay and get the experience of what it takes to be in a real courtroom,” Jeni Boulanger, Speech and Debate teacher and Mock Trial team Coach, comments on the experience.

At the start of the school year, the class were given a court case. In this case they were given the charges, details, and witness statements and then the teams had to figure out what they can use as evidence and what kind of questions they could ask to be able to apply all the facts to their case. It is a big challenge for these students but they got the opportunity to see the reality of working a real case in a courtroom and a feel for what they may want to do as a career in the future.

“It gives people who want to go into law the opportunity to really practice it and take part in it,” Boulanger explains about how Mock Trial can give a student the real perspective on what they may want to be doing in their future career. 

When Mock Trial began in the Fall term, they practiced after school, two days a week, that lasted up to two hours. This was when the team had the chance to work out their cases and prepare for their season. Actual attorneys would attend their practices and work with the students to train them, give them critique, and help them out with any judgement on their cases.

The captains set a goal in the spring last year that they wanted to be in the top three of the high desert. This year OHHS had two teams to compete in Mock Trial which gave the chance for more students to be able to participate. One of the teams during this season stayed in second place for three whole rounds then they fell short in the fourth, leaving them with not only second place out of all schools in the Mountain-Desert Region but with an outstanding performance that was noticed by their courtroom officials.   

“Mock Trial has gotten me out of my shell and I’ve learned a lot on how to work with people in this type of sense,” Makayla Henderson, Junior at OHHS and member in the Mock Trial team, states her feelings on going into this season and how she felt after finishing. “It taught me how to have a voice and not get shot down.”       

Throughout the season many of these students had to find a way to balance themselves between sports, other classes, and their life outside of school. As rough as it may get this group were able to pull through and find time for their practices to make an exceptional performance for their courtroom cases.

“I think that is one of the biggest learning curves of Mock Trial you don’t know what to expect so you have to kind of expect the unexpected,” Enola Cabrera, Senior at OHHS and second year member of Mock Trial, comments her experience on being able to take part in this opportunity and what you can gain from it. “You do break out of your shell a lot and I think that is one of the main things you actually take out of Mock Trial…you learn to be more confident in what you are saying.” 

This year’s Mock Trial team did an amazing job during their 2018-2019 school year season, leaving them with second place among the Mountain-Desert Region schools and 13 students being awarded with honors for outstanding performance in the courtroom.

Mock Trial Outstanding Performance Awards were earned by: Enola Cabrera, Tiara Campbell, Rebekah Chavez, Cayla Hanson, Garrett Lesley, Alexis Madrid, Samantha Oropeza, Alyanna Placencia, Caitlyn Thompson, Gabriel Verley, Makayla Henderson  

If you are interested in joining the speech and debate class to be able to take place in the opportunity of Mock Trial here at OHHS, please feel free to contact teacher Jeni Boulanger through email or you may go to her classroom (D-20) when given the chance.