Thinner Shelves in the Library

Books presented in the Oak Hills School Library

Joanna Cruz

Joanna Cruz

Joanna Cruz

Thinner Shelves in the Library

Be aware to recognize the disappearance of books

The library is a place to check out books for classes, find a story to get interested in, or even to do homework in a quiet environment. The library allows students to relax and get to focus on their classwork without noisy distractions. However, it is also a place where books are not returned to their rightful home.

Stolen and vandalized books are not a daily occurrence in the Oak Hills High School library but it has happened a couple of times. Some of the books, if they are returned, have writing in them and pages torn out. This makes it difficult for other students who want the same book to enjoy it or learn from it.

Joanna Cruz
Paperback cover of The Alpine Advocate by Mary Daheim on Oak Hills High School Library bookshelf

Students check out their textbooks and are expected to return them at the end of the school year, but some textbooks are not always returned. Textbooks are tools to obtain information of a certain subject for a student to learn, but if a student takes a textbook and does not return it then other students will not get a chance to learn from it and be able to complete their work.

From the lack of textbooks in the library, students have to pay a fine and it will be on their record. Though the library has novels not returned as well, textbooks have a higher price because of their important use.

Novels of a student’s personal use or a class sets are not always returned and students prefer to pay the fine instead of returning the missing book to its proper place. Books that are not returned can cause the library to be more strict upon what must be returned or even giving a book to a student.

The record of an unreturned book is recorded in the library’s system with student’s name and can impact if the librarians allow students to check out another book in the future. Students may move to a school in a different district, but the missing book follows the student’s record and can even influence their way to graduate.

Joanna Cruz
Paperback cover of Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle

“There are some students who do not return the items and we hold their diploma from them until they return the item or pay the money,” states Tracy Husson, OHHS Library Media Clerk, about students not returning books during their high school period.

Seniors are more likely to be affected by the unreturned book they have checked out with graduation so close only for their diploma to be held by the school until the book is returned or they pay the fine. 

Though some students do not find library books as important objects to the school, their opinion can be changed from the sudden appearance of a fine or from the hand that holds their diploma. By returning the book(s), the record of an unreturned item will disappear and a diploma can be given to the person.

Library books are necessary items and tools for students who need the knowledge to study for an important test, find a book for a class read, or even reading a book for their own entertainment.