Filed under News

Hush! Hush! Grab and Read!

Get to know the new book members of Oak Hills High School Library

Hush! Hush! Grab and Read!

Side View Of New Books Presented On Shelf

Joanna Cruz

Joanna Cruz

Joanna Cruz

Brand new additions to the Oak Hills High School library have been brought to the home of the Bulldog family. Get the new stories that are itching to be read and experience the world where a book can take you. Libraries are not just a place to find a single book to read for class or study for a test, but to also find different stories, experience the adventures, and risks of characters within a book.

Jennifer McCormick, OHHS Library Media Specialist and Tracy Huson, OHHS Library Media Clerk, present the new additions together in a row where they can be found. The library creates a place where students can talk with friends, find new materials of books or even research. Students may also study their SAT or their ACT tests, as well as work for AP classes.

“We’re [very similar to a] computer lab, people tend to study,” said Tracy Huson. “The days of the library being ‘Shhh,’ is not so much like that and I want people to feel more comfortable. [However], you also have to respect what people have come to do.”

Though in the past, libraries were known for a place to only study or do homework from classes or check out a book. As a place for resources, history, or a simple story for one’s liking, the OHHS library is also a place to relax and feel right at home, despite being on school property.

“[Michael Capps, the principal of OHHS] has a vision for the library for later. They want to take a section and make it like a hang out or a student union,” said Huson.

As libraries are continuing to develop into a welcoming environment for different people, it is still an open space for unique personalities to enter.

“My vision and plan for the Bulldog Library would be to reconfigure the current space into a more usable and user friendly space. This would allow students the opportunity to study and interact socially in a comfortable environment,” comments Capps.

Though novels of any kind – comic, manga, graphic novels – always reflects a character’s personality that someone can relate to and help a person to connect with a fictional character; such as racism, religious perspectives, cultural differences, sexuality, or even isolated and hatred.

“I call it ‘finding yourself’ in books.” Huson stated. “You’re just all of a sudden reading and then you’re like ‘that’s me’ or ‘that happened to me’ and then you feel like you’re not alone.”

Though books are not for everyone, there is a place for everyone in a library to meet different people of countless natures and backgrounds. Though it is difficult to find any source of connection with just anyone on anything, books can help awaken a sense of wisdom and a pull of relation through its reader.

Joanna Cruz
Sneak Peak Of Coming Up Posters Of The New Books

“That’s what I’m trying to provide here. I know the students that come in here are the reason I went to the library when I was a kid. You know, sometimes it’s just to feel safe, sometimes it’s just to be around people who like you, to make friends, or that they’re shy or they don’t get along out there and come in here,” Huson explained.

Brand new copies of books are now available in the OHHS library of different genres; such as Cassandra Clare’s City of Heavenly Fire, Clockwork Prince, Clockwork Princess. Also, The Devil In The White City by Erik Larson and In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

Check out the new books and fall into a world of your liking.

Joanna Cruz
Aisle Side View Of New Books On Shelf