Beyond the World with Mrs. Kelly

Get to Know, Meagan Kelly

Beyond the World with Mrs. Kelly

Kelly stand posing for a picture in her classroom.

Valorie Santillan, Staff Writer

Meagan Kelly is not only a teacher here at Oak Hills High School but she is also an inspiration to many. She frequently takes time off to not only help teachers but to experience working and being involved with other things. For instance, she got involved in the BoostEDU in 2017, this is a program to help support teachers with using technology. Before she got involved with BoostEDU and working with other technology, she first experienced other opportunities and got inspired by her parents.

My parents inspired my brother and I by working hard and being motivation. I also love reading and writing,” states Kelly.

Kelly was also involved in teaching Latin for one year, science for one year, computer science for one year, Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) for three years, and math for nine years. She got inspired to teach because she loves school and enjoys working with students. She is a hard worker, but does not let that stop her from finding a balance between her work life and personal life. Kelly recently did a challenge with her friend, Mari Venturino, called #MyRelaxing5 where they do 5 things that help them relax for a week. Kelly included that she wants to spend time with her family, traveling, getting out, going for a walk, and last but not least having miscellaneous fun.

“Work hard then you can have fun,” expresses Kelly towards her busy life.

Picture taken from Kelly's blog

As an educator Kelly works hard to be a positive impact not only to teachers but to her program and her students. Kelly is constantly trying her best to help them and giving them advice so that they can succeed. Learning how to be patient, forgiving, and encouraging to her students is one of her best abilities. She wants her students to have dreams and to chase them while she wants her fellow teachers to understand how important their their jobs are and how powerful their impact can be on a students life. Kelly is so eager to push her students to their best abilities that she gives them  advice everyday so that her students do not give up on themselves.

“Work now and big house later, or this is your job work hard and focus,” states Kelly to her students on some daily encouragement.

Kelly has taken time off work to try different and unique experiences so that she is able to learn from them. She has traveled to London, Washington D.C, and San Francisco just to learn more about her program and also to work with Google and Facebook. She puts her important stuff first like the school district, family, and her program and learns how to have a balance between work and fun, while managing her busy life.

“I tried to prioritize things like my number one things to do. I do all my side jobs after my number one are done,” comments Kelly on her priorities. 

Kelly is not only a teacher who works hard here at OHHS, but she also wants the best for her fellow teachers and students. She tries out different ideas to benefit not only teachers, but ideas for herself as well. She learns something new everyday on her program, just from being able to work with students and her co-workers.