Book Reviews: Get Booked

Monthly Book Reviews on Books That Are Good Enough To Read

November 1, 2018

Barnes and Noble
Book cover of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Night Circus

Ladies and gents, this is the moment you have waited for! Go through those black-and-white striped canvas tents and see the wonders of talents and amazement! See the dancers waltz and fly, see the magicians display wondrous illusions you will wonder if it is a dream. See Le Cirque des Reves upon Nightfall, before the Dawn sweeps it away.

Hector Bowen take his daughter’s face in his gloved hand, scrutinizing her expression for a moment before releasing her, his fingers leaving long red marks across her cheeks.

You might be interesting,” he says.

The girl does not reply.

He makes several attempts to rename her in the following weeks, but she refuses to respond to anything but Celia.

Barnes and Noble
Book cover of Hocus Pocus and The All-New Sequel

Hocus Pocus and the All-New Sequel

If you know the story of the Sanderson Sisters, then you will surely know what will be on these pages. Enter Salem where alleged witches were hung and witness the terrors of the Sinister Sisters in their hunger for youth and immortality when they devour the souls of children.

On All Hollows’ Eve, when the moon is round, a virgin will summon us from the ground. We shall be back! And the Lives of all the children of Salem shall be mine!

Barnes and Noble
Book cover of The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw

Wicked Deep

The Salem Witch Trials inspired many films and stories throughout the years and one can be served as a gift for fright. Three sisters were hung for alleged witchcraft where stones were tied to their feet and sunk into the riverbank of the town. Shea Ernshaw writes a marvelous crafted story of three sisters who get revenge on their own town.

The sisters have all found bodies.’ The words seem pulled from my throat.  The quiet settles between each my ribs, it expands my lungs, it reminds me of what’s to come. ‘They’ve all returned.’ I close my eyes, focusing on the silence. It’s the fastest it’s ever happened before. Now the drowning will begin.

Barnes and Noble
The Call of Cthulhu book cover by H. P. Lovecraft

Cthulhu

The legendary oversized tentacles dragging great ships into the depths of the sea inspired many films and stories of dangerous and greedy pirates. Fall into the madness of the mysterious Cthulhu; enter dreams and break the walls of sanity to praise Cthulhu. H.P. Lovecraft creates a figure worshipped by cultists as a deity and drives the human mind out of its place that leaves its presence known to those who can see it.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its constants. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.