Book Reviews: Get Booked

Monthly Book Reviews on Books That Are Good Enough To Read

October 12, 2018

Barnes and Noble
Book cover of Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice

Interview With the Vampire is a story that had awakened the vampire world that is still used today, as well as being the first book of the Vampire Chronicles. The 200 year old vampire Louis de Pointe du Lac tells his life of despair, pain, and being weary of his immortality from his experiences throughout the 18th century to the present day. He tells the story of his life with the older vampire, Lestat de Lioncourt, and their vampire-child Claudia of their travels and how the New World developed. Anne Rice tells a rich tale of vampires and their legacy that still impacts today vampires.

Warning: Mature Content

“ ‘Evil is a point of view,’ he whispered now. ‘We are immortal. And what we have before us are the rich feasts that conscience cannot appreciate and mortal men cannot know without regret. God kills, and so shall we; for no creatures under God are as we are, none so like Him as ourselves, dark angels not confined to the sinking limits of hell but wandering His earth and all its kingdoms.’ “  (Lestat to Louis)

Barnes and Noble
Book cover of The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney

The Face on the Milk Carton is about a girl named Janie Johnson who discovers she was kidnapped by looking at a picture on a milk carton at school. The story tells about her discovery whether if she was kidnapped by the people she was raised with or she was brought to them by someone else. Caroline B. Cooney tells a story of self-discovery that inspires self-love through hardest times.

“ ‘It’s me on there,’ Janie whispered. Her head hurt. Was the milk allergy already setting in? Or was she going insane this fast? Surely it took years to lose your mind.”   (Janie’s thoughts)

Barnes and Nobe
Book cover of Grimm’s Fairy Tales by Brothers Grimm

Grimm’s Fairy Tales by Brothers Grimm is a volume of short stories that involve Cinderella, Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel, and may more children stories.  A collection of fairy tales is a classic volume to read and the worlds of each fairy tail is unique.

“Cover you well sister dear,

That the rain may not wet you,

That the wind may not load you with dust,

That you may be fair and beautiful

When you appear before the King.”   

(The coachman from The White Bride and the Black Bride)

Book cover of The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan

The Last Werewolf is about a man named Jacob Marlowe who is the last werewolf and is over 200 years old. Jacob is involved in a crisis that involves two dangerous groups – one new, one ancient – and both want Jacob to be alive for their own needs. Glen Duncan gives a powerful and a new story of the legendary werewolves that is impossible to put down.

Warning: Mature Content

“The blood on these pages is mine.”  (Jacob’s thoughts)