Attractions for Spooky Season

Here are a few things to do to bring up your scare factor

Drawing of Disneylands Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party in 2018.

Melanie Pina

Melanie Pina

Yuri Cain, Editor in Chief

October is the time of spooky joy as people dive into fall weather before winter comes and locks everyone inside the house. Some people have a set idea on what they will be doing for the month but others are lost with ideas. October has plenty of things for all ages and all scare levels. Here are a few things that you can mark on your calendar for the spookiest month of the year.

Fright Fest– This attraction takes place at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom on certain days between September 21st and October 31st. They have haunted attractions that include haunted mazes, live performances, and specific rides that are sure to pulse up the fear factor. There are also monsters walking around the park, ready to scare their next prey at any given turn. During the day, Fright Fest has some things available for kids who are not ready to be exposed to such frights but at night the true terror comes out.

Halloween Horror Nights– This scary event takes place at Universal Studios on select days from September 14th through November 3rd. The experience includes exciting and heart racing mazes from some of your favorite killers and television shows such as Stranger Things and The First Purge. There are lots of things for people to go around and interact with but the fear factor may be too much so Universal recommends being 13 and over to participate.

Pumpkin Nights– This October themed event takes place from October 12th through November 4th. It takes place from 5 PM to 10 PM and even has a special “Night Owl” package with a lower price to pay to get entry. This is a great place to bring kids, couples, or even be a single party goer. Pumpkin Nights has eight different pumpkin themed grounds, a pumpkin fireshow, and nightly entertainment. For the kids, there are scavenger hunts and face painting while a screening of Coco also takes place. There are local food trucks that will be selling as well; allowing you to warm up with things ranging from hot chocolate to alcoholic drinks.

Disneyland Halloween Time– Disneyland Halloween Time is a huge tourist attraction for all ages but especially teenagers and young adults. It runs through September 7th to October 31st. There are all of the usual Disney attractions but decorated nicely for the fall time.

Halloween Drive In Nights– On October 13th a drive in movie theater will be showing Beetlejuice and A Nightmare on Elm Street. People can pull up with their vehicle and enjoy the showing of Beetlejuice at 6:30 PM and A Nightmare on Elm Street at 9:45 PM. The option is available to only see one showing or buy tickets for both. There will be food trucks available; they are even supplying vegan options. This is a place where kids three and up are allowed with the family friendly pre-entertainment and showing of Beetlejuice. Children are not allowed to see A Nightmare on Elm Street without parent supervision though.

Knotts Scary Farm– This haunting experience will take place on select nights from September 20th through October 31st. At night, monsters will fill every corner of the park as people make their way through the available mazes such as the Pumpkin Eater and Dark Entities. Along with mazes, the park also features scare zones, shows, and thrill rides. Some of the rides that will be open are HangTime and GhostRider. However, this nighttime thrill is not recommended for children who are younger than 13 years old.

LEGOLAND Brick or Treat– The Brick or Treat Party Nights will be going on from October 13th, 20th, and 27th. This attraction starts at 10 AM to 5 PM and is a great time for the smaller kids who aren’t ready to see crazy, scary attractions. LEGOLAND has candy stations, character meet & greets, and a costume contest. There is also a dance competition and live entertainment for everyone to enjoy.

Boo at the L.A. Zoo– The L.A. zoo has lots of activities for the whole month of October. This includes trick or treating at the zoo on October 20th, 21st, 27th, and 28th. Other than trick or treating, this attraction has Halloween games and a mini pumpkin patch. Kids are encouraged to wear costumes as they go through the zoo and watch the “Spooktacular Science” show which is performance that shows the audience the different potions in science and a hovercraft-powered ghost. Kids are sure to have a good time watching the animals eat pumpkin treats and watch all the shows available.

Horror Made Here– Warner Bros. Studio has A Festival of Frights attraction for all the scareheads. The Halloween party includes plenty of monsters such as evil clowns, demon nuns, and the devil. Visitors will be able to go into the creepy carnival which includes a live DJ with food and drinks for sale. People can also go through the Behind the Scenes on some of their favorite scary movies.

Los Angeles Haunted Hayride– This event is recommended for children who are eight years of age or older as some of the attractions may be too frightening. During the Haunted Hayride, people can expect to go through through some villages such as the Purgatory. This includes interactive shows which visitors can even be apart of; getting the full October experience. There is also a Trick or Treat village as a nightly activity with monsters hiding in every corner.

Dark Harbor– The Dark Harbor comes to the haunted Queen Mary from September 27th to November 2nd. This attraction has six mazes for visitors to venture into, nightly live entertainment along with bars to visit, and fun rides for anyone to enjoy. The tickets for Dark Harbor start at $20 and will grant admission into the attraction from 4 PM to 8 PM.

Marina Spooktacular– This attraction is a two day festival on October 27 and October 28th from 11 AM to 9 PM. It is free admission with activities for all ages and scare levels. In the early parts in the day, children are welcome to roam around do things such as treasure hunts, pumpkin decorating, and trick or treating. Later towards the night, the scare levels go up. Marina Spooktacular recommends visitors to be 13 years old and up as zombies take over the ships and they go through the Maze of Terror.

Movie Screenings– Los Angeles has lots of movie screenings for all types of scary movies. Nuart Theatre will be showing “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” every Saturday during the month of October at 11:59 PM and on the Wednesday of Halloween night. The Street Food Cinema will be showing lots of outdoor films such as Halloween on October 13th and Edwards Scissorhands on October 27th. The El Capitan Theatre will be showing “Hocus Pocus” from October 11th through the 21st.

There are plenty of things for everyone to enjoy during October. Make sure you’re not left out of the great attractions that Southern California has to offer.