Señor Hughes Breaks The Ice

Señor Hughes talks about traveling, family, and hobbies

Senor+Hughes+posing+for+a+picture+on+the+beach+
Senor Hughes posing for a picture on the beach

Sent in by Hughes

Sent in by Hughes

Savannah Godinez, Managing Editor

For 10 years now, Kelly Hughes has been apart of the Oak Hills High School bulldog staff as the Spanish III teacher. Growing up his first language was actually English and he did not learn how to speak Spanish until after high school. He travels the world, plays the guitar, and studies multiple different languages; being specifically bilingual in Spanish. Mexico, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Russia, Kenya, and Canada are a vast majority of the places that he has traveled to. When it comes to family his traditions include being at the beach and traveling to Costa Rica to visit family. As for hobbies he likes to be outdoors in any area that consists of water and he also enjoys playing the guitar.

Being born in Texas yet raised in Barstow, California, Hughes did not have much to come off, as growing up in a semi-deserted area, the world other than this small town can get a bit disfigured. His dream coming out of high school was to get a job, get married, and buy a house. Although that was a pretty good plan and mindset, not all things can turn out exactly how we have them pictured in mind, they can however, have an even better outcome.

“My dream was to get a job at Santa Fe railroad, get married, and get a house in Barstow Heights because I didn’t know anything else, I thought that was the world,” Hughes comments on his plans after high school.

Once he graduated from Kennedy High School, Hughes went up to San Diego with a friend and ended up going to San Diego Mesa Jr. College. Then soon after he went to San Diego State and got his Bachelors and Teaching Credential there. He then proceeded to teach for one year in San Diego.

“This is my 25th year in a row, I taught twenty-seven, I taught one year down in Costa Rica,” Hughes speaks about how long he has been teaching for.

Sent in by Hughes
Mr. and Mrs. Hughes pose for a picture together on the beach

The school he taught in Costa Rica was called Sunlights Christian School. Continuing on with that, Hughes taught 9 years at Hesperia High School, 7 years at Barstow Middle School, and then another 10 were spent here at OHHS. He also taught a few more years elsewhere but those were all in one year anchorments.

During the summer, Hughes enjoys doing a lot of outdoor activities. Some of his favorites are going to the beach, boogie boarding, paddle boarding, swimming, hiking, and many more. As far as family traditions go in the Hughes family they have a lot to do with traveling. Every time they go to Huntington Beach they have to eat at Ruby’s and walk at the dog beach. Each year when they take a trip down to Costa Rica, Tamarindo, they like to go surfing.

“When we go to Huntington Beach we always have to eat at Ruby’s at the end of the pier,” Hughes comments on his family traditions.

As a teacher Hughes has probably met hundreds of students in his lifetime, knowing that his favorite personality trait that he sees in his students, is them genuinely wanting to learn. When he notices that his students do want to learn the language, it motivates him to teach his students.

“If they enjoy learning, then I enjoy that too because then you know, it makes me enjoy teaching since you have something to offer them,” Hughes speaks on what personality trait he values most from a student.