Everything Wrong With Insatiable

Netflix’s new series has critics and social media buzzing

Everything Wrong With Insatiable

Insatiable on Netflix

Insatiable on Netflix

Yuri Cain

Insatiable on Netflix

Yuri Cain

Yuri Cain

Insatiable on Netflix

Yuri Cain, Editor In Chief

Insatiable is a new comedy series that made its way to  Netflix on August 10th. The series has already been out for a few weeks and in that time it has spread like wildfire across the Internet.  The trailer was the first to spark outrage and while there were over 220,000 signatures on Change.org to prevent the show from airing, it still went on and has since started war.

The show depicts a teenage girl, named Patty, who is bullied in high school because she is overweight. She hates her life as she has to deal with the hormonal issues of a normal teenage girl while being bullied in front of or by the people that she crushes on. In a turn of events, Patty gets punched in the face by a man and has to get her jaw wired shut for months. By the time she comes back from her medical issues and school break, Patty has turned into a thinner, “hotter”, and more outgoing version of her old self. As she realizes her new status in the high school food chain, she decides to get revenge on everyone who was unkind to her before.

Critics immediately hopped on all points of social media, especially Twitter, to explain their disgust with the trailer and whole aspect of the movie. The show exposes the fatphobic mindset of the writers, producers, and actors. It practically tells viewers that the only way to be pretty is to be thin. The fact that Patty is bullied for her weight in the show is a reasonable thing, it does happen to a lot of people, especially to young women. When looking at body shaming statistics it shows that around 94% of girls are body shamed at some point in their younger years. The problem is that the Netflix show doesn’t end up uplifting the overweight character, but rather dragging her down through the mud only to present her as beautiful when she is thin.

The show makes it seem that young girls have to be skinny in order to gain their confidence and to be their best self. The only time Patty was able to choose what type of high school experience she wanted was after she had announced herself to the school with a whole new, thin look. Also, they did a horrendous job with the fat suit that the actress, Debby Ryan, had to wear. Not only could they not have an actual thicker person with a different story line but they did a terrible job with the way they presented her in the beginning of the show.

Not only does the show fat shame but it also has some horrendous jokes and turning points.

Child molestation jokes are thrown in, suicides are used as plot devices, and the LGBTQ community is put through the ringer by some of the characters.

Insatiable is not only the worst because it is ANOTHER typical high school movie but it also goes through so many sensitive topics and smashes them for a “good” plot. This movie is hated by critics and hated by me.

What are your thoughts?

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.