Behind the Math with Gunnerson

Apart of OHHS for 10 years, Gunnerson gets interviewed

Gunnerson+poses+for+a+picture+in+his+classroom+
Gunnerson poses for a picture in his classroom

Savannah Godinez

Savannah Godinez

Savannah Godinez, Managing Editor

He is the voice that we hear every morning when the announcements are being told, when the games are being reported at our pep rallies, and when the plays are being made for our Friday night lights. Jeffrey Gunnerson is the current AP Stats, ASB, and Algebra 2 teacher for Oak Hills High School. He is also the 2019 senior class advisor and media announcer for most of the sports being played at OHHS. Gunnerson also happens to be apart of the original 61 staff members that have been here since the school has opened.

“Don’t be afraid to do something, don’t be afraid of the know. Go and do something…. take the chance because you just never know and it may be the best thing you ever do in your life,” states Gunnerson giving his best piece of advice to any student going into the real world.

Coming out of highschool, Gunnerson worked many dead end jobs, being 18 at the time he was sure of only one thing, which was knowing that he did not want to go to school. When he was 25 years old he decided for himself that he needed to make a change in his life. Gunnerson joined the Airforce and after being there for 8 years he decided that he wanted to get his degree and become a teacher. He became a teacher at 35 years old and before he started working at OHHS, when the school opened in 2009, he worked for one year at Hesperia High School.

“I learned that it was also time for me to get a career and not a job,” Gunnerson comments on himself joining the Airforce at 25.

His biggest role model in his life was his father, who was a humble man. He got his degree for teaching later in life, just like Gunnerson, and taught for 25 years, raised 3 kids, and has been married to his wife now for 50 years. He was a role model for Gunnerson because throughout everything he had done, he was not one to want the recognition or to be put in the spotlight for his right doings, he was a modest man all throughout his life style.

Gunnerson is a huge nerd when it comes to talking about sports. He had been a baseball coach for 8 years and generally loves the sport, but nothing beats Friday night lights and Gunnerson just loves the game of football. In the NFL, his favorite team is the Dallas cowboys, for college football it is UCLA, for baseball he is an Angels fan, in hockey he enjoys the LA kings, and for college basketball he is a UCLA fan.

“I’m bit of a sports nerd, I like a lot of fantasy sports, fantasy football, fantasy baseball,” Gunnerson speaks on his interests.

Gunnerson loves his job as a teacher, he sees no downfall or pet peeve in working with highschool students. Working with young teens on a daily basis, he gets to see the proudness that many students carry with them on a daily basis, just because of the simple fact that they attend OHHS. He loves being able to see all the work and dedication that students put into sports, drama production, the school newspaper, choir, and so much more. Gunnerson is a dedicated teacher to not only his job and the duties that can come along with it, but also to the students here at OHHS. He is an astounding teacher with great wisdom, jokes, and humor, all of which students look forward to when walking into his classroom.

“My favorite part is getting to be around you guys every day, you keep me young at heart,” Gunnerson comments on his favorite part about being a teacher.

About the Contributor