Filed under Bulldog Life, Feature

The LGBT Community

Confidence in Diversity

What is the LGBT community? A commonly asked question by people nowadays that are curious about our society. The LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) community is a community that emphasizes a diversity of a beings sexuality and gender identity. Those who are part of this are attracted to the opposite-sex, same-sex, or both. There are also people that feel they don’t identify by their biological sex, and feel more content to be identified as the opposite gender.

The LGBT community was created back in 1955, by an American gay rights activist named Harry Hay. He wanted to provide support for those who felt as if they were going through these things alone, and to show that there are millions more of people going through similar, or same feelings. Since then, the community has been growing and has become stronger, letting those know that it’s okay to be the way they are, and that they don’t need to force themselves to change.

“Give yourself permission to enjoy being gay. You do have to give yourself permission. You have been told you may not. Give yourself permission to be free.” Harry Hay says in an interview with Anne Marie Cusac, an Associate Professor of Journalism at Roosevelt University in Chicago.

Although the LGBT community has been alive for many years, most people don’t feel comfortable with who they truly are. Their minds wonder on if or who will accept them, from friends, family, and society in general. Coming out is difficult to do for anyone, even if they know their family will accept them.

Sophomore Paulina Lopez states, “Homophobic people, to me, are a nuisance. If everyone could just be happy that a person likes the same gender and everyone had the same rights, the world would definitely be an easier and safer environment.”

If there was more acceptance for one another, the world would be so much better. Unfortunately, there’s so much judgement and hate towards people nowadays due to how they feel, and who they believe they are.

Paulina continues, “Especially homophobic parent that will love their child to death and then all of a sudden become abusive when their child comes out.”

Homophobia runs through many people, including parents.

Coming out to parents is one of the hardest things someone can do, even when you know they won’t accept you for it. Turning on a child for believing they are lesbian, gay, or trans, is not the correct or best move to make. Parents should support and be there for their kids while they express their feelings.

Most high schools now, including Oak Hills High School, have a club under the name of GSA. GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) makes sure to support students who are questioning who they are, or to those who already know. Some members include straight students who support the community because their parents (or relatives) are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender. Members provide help to those who are in need of acceptance, and give them a helping hand throughout everything. Not only that, but friendships are built through this club. GSA is meant to make students feel like they aren’t alone, and there are many others going through similar experiences. 

There are LGBT events people can go to to meet others just like them, such as pride, festivals, parades, and more. These events come into place to bring everyone together, and to show love and support towards everyone no matter what they like or who they are. There are multiple LGBT events, but one of the most  well-known events is the Los Angeles’s Pride Parade and Festival, which takes place this year on June 9th.

People in the LGBT community do have support from a lot of different sources, even if they don’t realize it. There’s going to be people throughout their life who of course don’t, and think its a sin, or just don’t believe in it, but there’s people who do accept it and have learned that they are too human beings with the same feelings as them. As long as you’re happy with who you are and learn to accept yourself for you, then it’ll all be okay.

About the Writer