Column: Bulldog Life Teacher

Sent in by McDaniel

Sent in by McDaniel

Sent in by McDaniel

Sent in by McDaniel

Column: Bulldog Life Teacher

McDaniel Gets Interviewed!

March 20, 2018

Kristin McDaniel is Oak Hills High School’s current AP Psychology, Psychology, and Peer assistance teacher. She has been working with the school ever since OHHS has opened in 2009 but she has been teaching for fourteen years now. McDaniel’s three favorite hobbies consist of traveling, camping/hiking, and reading. She loves to travel because she loves seeing other cultures, experiencing other foods, and seeing new sights. The outdoors is something she is also very fond of because she enjoys the fresh air, the feeling of being active, and getting to see the beauty of nature. Reading is also something very relaxing for her because she can escape into other worlds. McDaniel is more of a book person rather than a movie person, her favorite genres in novels are history, mystery, and crime. Some of her favorite books are A Long Walk by Slawmoir Rawicz and All But My Life by Gerda Weissmann Klein. Whenever McDaniel gets the chance she likes to write in blue or purple pen. She avoids walking on manhole covers or grates and she always has her TV on regardless of whether or not she is watching it. Also when she is eating a meal that has multiple items she always eats her least favorite item first, then the second thing, and then the best is saved for last. McDaniel is an exceptional teacher and she is great member to the bulldog staff here at OHHS. 

Photo provided by Ms. McDaniel

Q & A Section:

What is the most interesting encounter you have ever had with a student that made you laugh?

“I had this student that asked a question and I gave him an answer. Then he turned my answer into a song and started singing it in class. It was hilarious and I couldn’t stop laughing.”

If you did not have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?

“Travel! I love traveling, But realistically , I would probably hike, walk, and read more .”

What are some small things that make your day better?

“I love when students are confident enough to say hello or to ask questions. That makes my day brighter! Going home to have my dogs greet me is fun as well, because they are so excited that I am home.”

What is the best piece of advice that you feel you could give to your students?

“I think it is to try and to believe in yourself. If you do not try something, you do not know if you like it or not and you don’t know if you can do something or not. Believe in yourself because you need to have confidence to know you can do things, to make a difference.”

What do you wish you knew more about?

“History! I love history, and I feel you can never know enough”

If you were going to be put to death & they gave you one last meal of anything you wanted, what would it be?

“I love so many different foods! I would probably choose crab, my mom’s turkey gumbo, and for dessert my dad’s poppy seed cake.”

If you were a dictator of a small island, what crazy dictator things would you do?

“I would make everyone earn their living, but other other than that probably not too many things.”

If life is a game, like some people say, what are some of the rules?

“Work hard and earn your place. Make time for yourself and do things you enjoy. Life is not always fair; deal with it.”