Filed under News

Career Day

OHHS helps with the high school transition

Career Day is coming to Oak Hills High School, a day where we have various presentations from people in so many different professions. They will speak about careers and lend a helping hand when it comes to what steps students need to take to follow their after high school dreams. Attending Career Day will benefit students because high school students, especially our graduating seniors, need to prepare for the future as they finish high school and transition into adult life. Career Day will take place at OHHS in the gym on March 23, and all are invited to attend. Students can visit the booths and presenters during second, third and fourth period.

Sophomore Emily Solis said, “I want to become a pediatrician and attend UC [University California] Santa Barbara. I want to be a pediatrician because I am good with kids and love helping people out. I don’t think i’ll have a job waiting for me right away but after I graduate I plan on looking at my options on where to start my career.”

Even when students go to college, there are many individuals who change their majors because of various reasons. CHanging majors is fine because college students should enjoy the career you choose because they may just be doing it for the rest of their lives. That is what school is for, they encourage you to become something better in the future and to contribute to the world.

Diane Rodriguez, OHHS Career Specialist, is in charge of career day and organized this event.

Career day is important because students need to know what possibilities they have for there future and find out now what they need to practice.”

— Diane Rodriguez

Some of the careers attending include Engineers, Electricians, Animal Care [Veterinarians], Doctors, Dentists, Construction, and even recruiters. Rodriguez was able to get the majority of these individuals due to her educational ties with them as many were her old students. She was able to go out and talk to people on the weekends in order to give students more career choices. It is only open to students who attend OHHS and there is a special guest announcement at 9:00 am, students will have to attend in order to hear the announcement. If students are interested in finding out more, visit the gym on Friday, March 23rd, from 8:15 to 10:20.