Filed under Opinion

Snapchat Update

The worst update of 2018

The Snapchat update that has upset users all across the globe shattered  apps on February 12, 2018. The new design puts users stories on the chat bar instead of the discover page. Now, stories are even harder to find and it makes the app overall much more difficult. The new update also lets users turn gifs into snapchat filters, this is the only hope for good change within the app. Users are finding it harder to get the same amount of views on their stories because it is so much more harder to watch stories. The difficulties involved with the new update are making some individuals quite upset. 

Social media influencers have also talked about their views on the startling change as well as snapchat queen, Kylie Jenner. She tweeted her dislike about the app and it allegedly made the Snapchat stock lose 1.3 billion dollars.

Kylie tweeted, “Sooo does anyone else not open Snapchat anymore? Or is it just me… ugh this is so sad.”

The update is still overwhelming its users and making it painful to open up the app. The immense negative attention related to the abrupt update has sparked snapchat to discuss the reversal of the update. An online petition was posted in response to the redesign and the snapchat CEO, Evan Spiegel, wants to give users time to get used to it. 1,253,092 have signed the online petition, its users are hoping to get at least 1,500,000 signatures.

The official petition website states, “This petition aims to help convince Snap Inc. to change the app back to the basics, before the new 2018 update.”

The general attitude of many snap users have not phased the creators of this popular app, however many are still desperately trying. On the bright side, there are very few aspects of the update that users are enjoying. The new gif feature and having a larger font selection seem to be a favorite within the app, but these may not weigh out the overall negative features. Junior Anthony Luna stated, “I hardly use the app anymore, it makes me not want to view anything.”

Completely avoiding the app is an option that many have decided to pursue due to the huge change. So far, there is no news of the update being reversed or changed back to its original basic design. Users are still posting their complaints all over various social media platforms, expressing just how much this update is everything we never wanted.