Mythology With Kamffer

Mythology Class & Club with Kamffer

Taken+By+Leah+Lou+Richardson+
Taken By Leah Lou Richardson

Taken By Leah Lou Richardson

Taken By Leah Lou Richardson

Leah Richardson, Staff Writer

William Kamffer, a tenth-grade English teacher from Oak Hills High School has come up with a new elective for the 2018-2019 school year. This new elective is a Mythology class,  he plans on teaching and creating this club involving all aspects of Mythology. All students are welcomed to sign up for this class or club. For college thriving students, Mythology class is approved by the school board and counts as an  A-G requirement.

This class will go over different types of Mythology stories as well as activities involving the subject. Kamffer will go through the background of Mythology and where the stories came from. Greek and Roman Mythology will be the main idea of the class and will mostly be heard throughout it. Some of the stories that will be gone over are nearly 5,000 years old.

Mr.Kamffer states that, “Most of the stories have had changes made to them over the years because back in time writing didn’t exist. All people had to go off of was memories and guesses on how the world worked.”

If Mr.Kamffer is going to teach about a very old subject, students should be able to know where he got all his knowledge from.  

“When I was an undergraduate, I studied a little bit of Chinese Mythology, which is radically different from European Mythology and yet eerily similar when it comes to the deeper meaning of the stories. Lastly, in grad school, I focused a lot of reading and study on the legends of King Arthur, which will have a big place in the Mythology course I am teaching,”.

When it comes to what Kamffer wants to cover in the class he states what he wants to

“ Cover Norse Mythology, the legends of King Arthur, fairy tales, Star Wars, and a host of other great topics”.

Another concern students may have when it comes to joining a Mythology class is whether or not they are going to have to write essays every other week. After speaking to Kamffer about his plans to write a few essays he will be including a few fun activities for the class. Such as Pokehunt for Mythological allusions and creating new Mythological stories.

Kamffer wants to start a new class because he believes that he will love to learn about the cool stories that will be heard throughout this class. Students who would like to learn and develop more knowledge around Mythology, this is the class for you. Also, the teacher who is teaching this class always puts a fun twist in his classroom. If you think you will enjoy learning about Mythology this is definitely a class you should mark on your 2018-2019 sheet.