Black Panther Album: A Masterpiece

The soundtrack to Marvel's top movie of the year: Black Panther

Black Panther Album: A Masterpiece

Yuri Cain, Managing Editor

Black Panther has been the Marvel movie of the year so far. It racked in a total of 476.6 million dollars in the box office after its release date of February 16, 2018. Along with the hype of the movie, came its soundtrack. Black Panther’s official soundtrack has a total of 14 songs with its main producer being a famous rapper, Kendrick Lamar. The album, “Black Panther”, so far has spent two weeks at #1 on the Billboard 100 and 200.

“Black Panther”– The song includes just Kendrick Lamar. With just a simple match flicker, the song starts off with a slow melody before Kendrick spits a verse, slower than his usual tempo. Soon enough, the beat speeds up and the rapper is back to himself letting out fire and once again dropping back down to the more relaxing beat. The song is on the shorter side leaving fans on a roller coaster between hype and chill.

“All The Stars”– This song has appearances from both Kendrick and SZA. The song starts off with an auto tuned voice and Kendrick’s mixing together before SZA makes a bold appearance. Her voice takes over the song with a lovely melody while Kendrick pushes in and starts his swift, but chill rap. The song switches between SZA and Kendrick the whole time with various moments of the mysterious autotuned voice. The song was Number 9 on the Billboard 100 and has its own music video.

“X”– Saudi, a less known rapper who is spending his first time on the Billboard charts, is the first actual verse to appear. The rapper brings in a foreign language to the song giving off South African vibes. ScHoolboy Q takes over the long second verse leaving Kendrick for the pre-hook and hook. The final verse is taken by Kendrick and 2 Chainz, leaving the audience feeling a rushed feeling and wanting to hear it again. It ended up being Number 49 on the Billboard 100. 

“The Ways”-  Khalid, a growing artist with his most famous song “Location”, starts off the first verse. His easy voice fills the song going in perfect sync with the beat and shows the audience a new side of him, with some explicit lyrics. Swae Lee is the next artist to appear in the song with some parts having him overlap the voice of Kendrick Lamar. The song was put as Number 63 on the Billboard 100 but currently does not have a music video.

“Opps”– The song starts off with with a sort of EDM beat leading to Kendrick’s verse being cut with Vince Staples coming in. The whole time the same beat plays throughout the song and it sort of overpowers the voices of Kendrick and Vince Staples. This song adds a unusual twist to such a hype album. Although the song did not make it on the Billboard 100, it still is meaningful to the entirety of the album as a whole.

“I Am”– Jorja Smith is an up and coming artist from Britain. At the start of the song, a single guitar plays before the tune gets deeper and the beat is added. Jorja comes in with a smooth and silky voice, surprising those who are new to her voice. Her voice is at ease in the song as the same beat continues on throughout. Jorja chops up her singing into almost sing song rap before switching back to her smooth singing. This song is a slower one compared to most of the Black Panther album but adds the chill spot needed.

“Paramedic!”– This song only has SOB x RBE, a known group for their underground music and trap. The song starts off with Kendrick saying, “I am Killmonger,” before a soft voice drifts through singing, “No one’s perfect, but no one is worthless.” After a repeat of the soft voice, the beat switches up and starts a beat closer to the kind SOB x RBE is known to verse over. Kendrick’s voice is the first on the track but it quickly moves to the group. The song is easily a crowd favorite and was in Number 67 on the Billboard 100.

“Bloody Waters”– This song has three artists on it which include Ab-soul, Anderson .Paak, and James Blake. They all throw in their creative artistry on the track. James Blake is the first to be heard on the song for a short time Anderson .Paak takes over the chorus with a soft and soothing voice. Ab- soul takes the first  official verse in a dominating laidback tone. The rest of the song switches between Ab- soul and Anderson .Paak before having James Blake close out.

“King’s Dead”– This upbeat song is combined of Kendrick Lamar, Future, Jay Rock, and James Blake. The beat was produced by Mike Will Made- It and Teddy Walton. The song starts off with an introduction verse from Kendrick before switching to Jay Rock. The verse is sure to hype any crowd up and to top it off, Future makes his appearance straight after Jay Rock. Future played around with his verse, tweaking it at the end to give him a high pitched voice. Lastly, James Blake comes in with a ghostly voice to introduce Kendrick’s full potential. The rapper’s voice dominates the song, with even a switch in the beat leaving fans wanting more.

“Redemption Interlude”– This specific song only has one artist, Zacari. Zacari has worked with Kendrick before on the hit song “Love”. He is a little less known compared to the other artists on the album. The song is only one and a half minutes and just consists of a chill beat with Zacari’s slow but comforting voice.

“Redemption”– The pre-chorus and chorus are taken by Zacari who is also the main singer in the Redemption Interlude. The primary verse is taken by Babes Wodumo with Kendrick Lamar on the bridge. The second verse is by Kendrick and Mampintsha, as they speak a different language on top of one another.

“Seasons”– This song contains a lesser known group of artists such as Mozzy, Sjava, and Reason. The first verse is speaking a different language before switching to English just with a thick accent. The three artists switch off throughout the whole song. It did not make it to the Billboard 100 charts but adds its own twist.

“Big Shot”– Kendrick Lamar and Travis Scott dominate this song with Kendrick starting off first. He takes over most of the song before Travis takes his verse at around the 2 minute mark. The song was such a hit that it made it to Number 71 on the Billboard 100 charts especially since it has two well known artists.

“Pray For Me”– The song by The Weeknd was actually in the movie during one of the important scenes (No Spoilers). It has a pop but chill vibe that the artist has recently been giving off lately. The song was put as Number 11 on the Billboard 100.

“It’s a tight album, I think some things could of been better but overall it has some good music,” says senior Jesus Aguirre.

The Black Panther movie and album have been a big hit for the world. Dominating music and movie records, day by day due to to its music taste that many people enjoy. If you haven’t listened to the album or seen the movie, it would be a good idea to join in on what everyone is talking about.