Photo of former OHHS Principal Larry Porras with Paw Print writer Allyson Patten.

Photo by Larry Porras

Photo by Larry Porras

The Return Of Porras

Former OHHS Principal temporarily returns

Oak Hills High School Principal Mike Capps has been out due to hip surgery, but taking his place for a few days is Oak Hills High School previous principal: Larry Porras. Porras describes his return and explains how he feels being back with his Bulldog family.

“Coming back feels like a family reunion,” Porras said.

Porras says that he loves to interact with kids at lunch time on his golf cart. He has not returned back to the campus since he retired from being principal. “Last year I tried to stay away to give Capps room,” Porras explained. “It has been a year or two now and all bets are off.”

He is glad for his return even though it is for a small amount of time.

“It’s my 30th year in the district…I feel I have served  this community. I have paid my dues and have earned the right to finish my career in the two or three years, more in a role on mentoring young administration. It’s time for me to get out of the way and let younger people have a shot at this. I had my fun.”

While subbing as a Guest Principal, Porras returned to Oak Hills High School to help while Principal Capps recovers from surgery. Capps returned during the first week of March and Porras returns to the district office with memories.

“I miss seeing the students perform in drama, in concerts, on the athletic field. I miss seeing [students] mature and grow, for freshmen to mature [into] young men and women,” Porras then elaborated more on how he missed the feeling of admiring the growth of Oak Hills High School. “I miss the satisfaction of overseeing thousands of young people and ensuring their safety and success. I miss seeing excellent teachers pushing students to the max potential…there is nothing more important in my mind than being part of guiding and developing young people.”

Porras did an amazing job coming back just like we all knew he would. He did everything he needed and more. It was great to have him back on the Bulldog campus.