Needle to Skin

Tattooing in Anatomy

The Online Student Newspaper of Oak Hills High School.

www.bulldogpawprint.com

www.bulldogpawprint.com

Isabella Highfill, Writer/Editor

The Integumentary system has been the subject of many of Dr. Rocky Comberati’s anatomy classes here at Oak Hills High School. Bulldogs are challenged with a model, creating the Integumentary system, making a Power Point, and learning about ink on the skin. This is Dr. Comberati’s first time bringing in tattoo specialists to come and talk to his class.

“We are using tattooing as a way to stimulate interest for kids to learn about the skin and trying to see if kids are pro’s or cons to tattoos based on dermal, and epidermal reactions from tattoos,” Dr. Comberati explained.

The tattoo artists that visited the high school were from a local parlor in Hesperia called Black Anchor. Jose Morales, Jason Crawford, and Mat Hurtado took the time to come in and speak with students while they conducted their research. 

“I didn’t want to get in, in the first place because they talked about how tense it can be and how much a person can fidget and ruin the design. It made me learn more about how it can affect the skin and know the pros about it an the cons, and the safest way to get a tattoo. I learned to not get it while you’re young but to definitely think about it while you are older,” Karla Bernal, a sophomore in Dr. Comberati’s class shared her thoughts.

Many students were able to participate in this experiment and successfully informed students on the subject. This topic is not typically discussed in schools so giving the students a chance to participate can be as exciting as getting a tattoo yourself. Students are given a very active and upfront description of the process and the education behind it. 

“It will help kids in the future about teaching them the pro’s and con’s of tattooing and how it is in real life today. Tattooing has gone from 2% or 3% of the population to half the population.” Dr. Comberati said.

Dr. Comberati plans on doing this experiment more in the future to teach the kids in a new way of the Integumentary systems. He plans on changing it up a bit and hopefully helps teach students about the industry of tattooing, the risks, and the science behind it. 

About the Writer
Isabella Highfill, Writer/Reporter

Bella was born on November 8, 2002 and loves the color mint blue. She likes to read, sleep, and listening to music. Her favorite artist is Russ because,"I've...