Filed under News

California In Two

As of January 16th, the New California Republic declared its independence from California.

The New California Republic declared itself the 51st state within the United States of America on January 16th, 2018. The movement has attempted several secessions in the past, with the most recent being back in early 2016. The leader of the movement, Vice Chairman Robert Paul Preston, released the new declaration after he believed that the fifty-eight counties in California had been let down by the state’s elected officials. This new state intends on leaving California’s seaboard and splitting all the other counties into the New California Republic.

The movement believes that California has failed its people by not providing with the most basic of standards. In an online article, the group states that “ After years of over taxation, regulation, and mono-party politics of the State of California and many of its fifty-eight counties have become ungovernable.”

Ross Rowland, Anatomy and Robotics teacher at Oak Hills High School, had this to say on the topic, “While it may give republican’s a sense of power or feel that their votes mean something, it will do little to change the political landscape.”

As it currently stands, the chances of the New California Republic becoming another state are slim, but not impossible. Filing under Article 4, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution, the movement needs to first go through California legislature and be legitimized, then they move into a vote in Congress. Unlike other separation movements, the New California Republic is following the law like the way the West Virginia movement did. It is estimated that the new state will not see any movement within California legislature until late 2018 to early 2019.

In the case this new state is created, all major seaboard cities will remain such as San Francisco and Los Angeles. Rural counties like Mariposa and Sierra will now become counties within the New California Republic. Hesperia would lie within the borders of the State of California, but only a few miles drive to the next state.

Manny Romeul, sophomore, and resident of California had shown his disapproval stating, “Why do people think this is a good idea, things are good as they are.”

For now, California will remain as is, but that might not last within the coming months. The future of the movement appears bleak, but the creation of the New California Republic is not impossible.

About the Writer
Nathan Morris, News Staff Writer

Born on July 16th, 2002, Nathan's favorite color is purple and he enjoys metal music as well as the artist Avenged Sevenfold. He enjoys archery and competitive...