Filed under Creative Arts

Sights of the Season

A Seasonal Spectacle

Happy+Holidays+

Sights of the Season

Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays

Kaitlynn Koppenhaver

Happy Holidays

Kaitlynn Koppenhaver

Kaitlynn Koppenhaver

Happy Holidays

Every year during the Holidays, there are so many different things that many of us are used to seeing. There are various traditions that call for decorations, food, and family. Christmas usually brings lights and trees decorated with ornaments and stars. During Hanukkah, many enjoy the traditional foods as well as lighting candles for each of the eight days, this year Hanukkah begins on December 12th and ends on December 20th. Everyone has different celebrations during this season, and each has their own unique definition of ‘Holiday’.

“I look forward to seeing everyone so happy and everyone sharing love and happiness. I love Christmas because it gets so cold and we get to get all cozy and be together,” stated junior Joe De la Torre.

For Christmas many people may typically see the houses decorated and dazzling lights all over. Locally, you might see the annual Christmas tree lighting in Civic Plaza Park, located in the High Desert city of Hesperia. In Rancho Cucamonga there is an event called the magic of lights where the Nascar racetrack is decorated with large lights and people can pay to drive their cars on the track to view the spectacle.

Some celebrate Hanukkah and typically see a seven branched candelabrum called menorahs and a spinning toy called a dreidel, loads of familiar foods, lighting the candles, and the days of gifts. Traditional foods like latkes and doughnuts are served with a traditional Hanukkah meal as well as many others.

Junior Yuri Cain said, “I look forward to lighting the menorah and playing with the dreidel, I also like spending time with family and friends.”

Christmas trees are sometimes a staple for homes during Christmas. Trees, real or artificial, are decorated with lights and ornaments. Typically a star or angel is placed on top, these trees are different for every home and help to keep the holiday cheer indoors too.

“One thing I look forward to seeing every holiday is all the Christmas trees. I like seeing them because they’re nice and bring in the real feel of christmas,” said junior Anthony Luna

No matter the holiday, every festive season is made better with the people and events that take place. Hot chocolate, coffee, or eggnog seems to be everywhere, and baked goods around every corner.  Everyone celebrates differently and it is such a diverse time of the year for many. Families and friends come together to celebrate this very jolly holiday season.

About the Photographer
Kaitlynn Koppenhaver, Editor in Chief

Born on July 29, 2000, and her favorite color is yellow. She enjoys reading, listening to great tunes, and watching The Office. Kaitlynn loves writing,...