An Inspiring Bulldog

His motive was to prove them wrong.

Gabriel Escalera has set out to accomplish great things.

Natalie Hernandez

Natalie Hernandez, Staff Writer

Gabriel Escalera is a freshman here at Oak Hills High School. He has been motivated through all the negativity in his life and as a result, his grades and basketball are his main focus and his true inspiration. Gabriel puts his best foot forward because he knows nothing comes easy in life especially his passions. Escalera has never let negativity discourage him because he knows where he stands and it has made him stronger; it makes him push himself more. 

Growing up, Escalera was told by his past teachers that he would never make it to high school. Hearing something like this from your elementary and middle school teachers can kill someone’s self esteem, but not for Escalera. On the contrary, it made him try even harder because he had that motivation to prove them all wrong.

Escalera went some time wondering why he was told he would never make it. For instance a teacher, who will not be named, told Gabriel he was stupid and would never make it. To this day he does not know why he was told he would not make it. This same teacher was just generally not the most kindest person or teacher he knew.

For those who know Escalera, they wonder why Escalera never let the cruel and negative comments get to him.

Escalera stated, “All throughout life I have been called stupid and so I have used that to fuel myself up.”

Escalera knew the potential within himself and he wanted to prove every single one of them wrong.

All thanks to his self-motivation, Escalera has proven his teachers wrong and looking back Gabriel feels proud about how far he has come and all he has accomplished. Aside from all this Escalera is a strong individual who plans to accomplish great things in his life. He never lets the negativity get to him, he actually uses it to motivate himself each day. Escalera has set his mind and effort in accomplishing his long term goals which includes something in the physical education field.

Gabriel knows that when it comes to his career, he still needs some work to do and he also knows in order to start his career he needs to focus on his studies. Although many take their grades as a joke, Gabriel knows not to fool around. Along with his studies, he enjoys playing basketball and is very fond of the sport. He dedicates plenty of his time to play and better himself at playing basketball. Everything he contributes to he does it with great dedications because he knows where his potential lies.

Gabriel says, ”I just look at life as an obstacle course, all problems are temporary.”

1 Comment

One Response to “An Inspiring Bulldog”

1. Leonardo Hernandez on January 8th, 2018 8:26 am

Who is this boy?

• An Inspiring Bulldog

Bulldog Life

Freshman focuses on 9th grade year

• An Inspiring Bulldog

Bulldog Life

Teachers With More Than One Job

• An Inspiring Bulldog

Bulldog Life

Student by Day, Employee by Night

• An Inspiring Bulldog

Bulldog Life

The LGBT Community

• An Inspiring Bulldog

Bulldog Life

Europe Changing Tides

• An Inspiring Bulldog

Bulldog Life

Runway To Success

• An Inspiring Bulldog

Bulldog Life

Your Key to Success: The United States Marine Corps

• An Inspiring Bulldog

Bulldog Life

Doctor Bulldogs

• An Inspiring Bulldog

Bulldog Life

Column: Bulldog Life Teacher

• Bulldog Life

Jordan Perez

An Inspiring Bulldog