December Movie Releases

What movies are coming to theaters this December?

Haley Tudor, Writer/Copy Editor

Many people are annoyed by the fact that when they are in the mood to go and watch a movie at the theater, there just is not anything good to see.

The 2017 December movie releases, however, seem somewhat interesting.

The Shape of Water comes out December 1st, which is a Fantasy/Thriller film. This movie is about a mute custodian at a high-security government laboratory who befriends a captured sea creature in 1961 Maryland, Baltimore. This film was awarded the Golden Lion for the best film screened at the 74th Venice International Film Festival on August 31, 2017. 

Sally Hawkin, actress of the main character Eliza Esposito, states positive things about Guillermo del Toro, who is the director of The Shape Of Water. “He inspires everyone he comes into contact with, and everyone who he works with just wants to do the best for him and will go above and beyond to make sure his vision is fulfilled. He is the most remarkable person, and you feel honored to be in his presence.” adds Sally Hawkins.

For all you Sci-Fi lovers out there, Star Wars: The Last Jedi is coming out December 15th. This is the second film in the new Star Wars trilogy.

According to the film’s press release, The Last Jedi was announced after Disney’s acquisition of Lucasfilm in October 2012. The Last Jedi had its world premiere in Los Angeles on December 9, 2017, and will be released in the United States on December 15, 2017.On June 20, 2014, Rian Johnson was announced as writer and director of Episode VIII and story treatment writer of Episode IX.

Johnson responded in just three words of how he feels about The Last Jedi, “Intense. Fun. Starwarisianish.”

Oak Hills High School Freshman Ashton Singh comments, “I am a total loser so I’m very excited for the new Star Wars coming out”

Theaters even have something new coming out for smaller children called Ferdinand, which also premieres on December 15th. This movie is based on Munro Leaf and Robert Lawson’s children’s book The Story of Ferdinand and is directed by Carlos Saldanha. It is about a Spanish Fighting Bull named Ferdinand who needs to decide if he is a fighting bull or a flower smelling, generous bull, in order to earn his freedom.

Saldanha comments, “No matter how you look on the outside, what matters is what you really are on the inside,” to shine some light on the true and inspiring meaning of this movie.

“Ferdinand doesn’t want to fight, but people still judge him for being different, for not conforming to what they expect him to do. I think that’s all connected, which I loved.”, adds Saldanha.

Pitch Perfect 3 is on its way to theaters December 22nd, a sequel to the 2015 film Pitch Perfect 2, this is  The third and final installment in the Pitch Perfect trilogy. This group of awesome nerds will come together to make some music, and some questionable decisions, one last time.

Although, no one really knows if this sequel will be good or not. At first, Actress Anna Kendrick was not happy with her NYC record label and ended up quitting. “She’s immediately filled with horrible, crushing regret based mostly on fear,” Kendrick says filled with disappointment and devastation. Luckily, Kendrick finally accepted and agreed to star as Beca again in the new upcoming movie.

“We spend every waking moment together: We’re shooting together constantly, we’re in the hair and makeup trailer together and when we’re not shooting, we’re in a green room together. It starts to feel like ‘Oh, my God if I see these girls for one more second…’ and then every weekend it’s just like, ‘What you guys up to?” Kendrick comments, talking about the rest of the cast, including Rebel Wilson, Brittany Snow, Anna Camp, and Hailee Steinfeld.

Do you like comedy? Well, I have some good news for you, Father Figures comes out December 22nd, and it looks hilarious. This is an upcoming American comedy film directed by Lawrence Sher and written by Justin Malen that follows two adult brothers who set out to find out who their true biological father is.

Actor Ed Helms talks about Lawrence Sher, “We go way back, we’ve been sort of in the trenches together and this is his first movie as a director,” He continues to go on about how Sher is a great director, “It was such a no brainer to go back to work with him, I just knew he’d be a great director and he nailed it”.

When asked if he was excited to see the movie in theaters, OHHS Sophomore Samuel Perez said, “I don’t think so, I just think its gonna be like a rip off of Daddy’s Home”

The movies coming out this month seem interesting. They are all from different categories, like animation, thriller, comedy, drama, etc. Most of these movies have positive rating on sites such as Rotten Tomatoes, in which they are skyrocketing on good reviews. With all luck going towards these upcoming movies, good luck!