The Life of Being a Counselor

An insight into Mr. Freehling's Life

The Online Student Newspaper of Oak Hills High School.

www.bulldogpawprint.com

www.bulldogpawprint.com

Savannah Godinez, Bulldog Life editor / Writer

A majority of students wonder as to what a school counselor actually does throughout their day, they of course have a general idea of what their job might consist of. Yet many students do not actually know the amount of hard work that goes into being a school counselor. A counselor’s impact on a student in high school is very important and is quite often overlooked. The long hours and hard work that is put into the game plan for a student to be successful is not often recognized enough. Here at Oak Hills High School there are many counselors that contribute to our wonderful staff, one of them being Kris Freehling, the current counselor for the Oak Hills High School class of 2020.

Freehling was first introduced to the idea of being a counselor when he developed a great relationship with his counselor in high school, he believed that this helped influence him in his choice. Before he decided he wanted to become a counselor he had actually been a teacher. Other things such as working with kids and helping to influence their lives contributed to his decision of wanting to choose counseling as his job. Some of the challenges that Freehling has come across while being a counselor is meeting kids who have the want of being successful yet not wanting to put in the proper work for becoming successful and students who refuse to communicate with teachers or counselors when they need the help. Also when being a counselor Freehling has said that hearing the stories of kids who have had it harder than himself can be a challenge.

“Sometimes it’s hard to hear about the challenges they face and realize that they have it harder than I did when I was growing up,” Freehling states. 

Communicating with teenagers is another part of being a counselor that is often overlooked. Teenagers are hard to work with because they are not adults, yet many seem to believe that they are. A part of being a counselor’s job is guiding kids into the right direction of their future and giving them the best advice possible. This kind of communication can be hard with teenagers because the point that is trying to be passed off to them is very often never understood. Peer pressure and maintaining a good persona very frequently keeps teenagers wrapped up in their own idea of the world which means when something other than that world is said to them, it’s not understood or wanted because it will not benefit them. Freehling explains that this is another hard challenge when being a counselor, seeing teens be oblivious to the good opportunities that are being passed their way.

Freehling said, “You can see a self-destructive pattern develop and tell them that, yet they continue down that same road. It’s sad to see this, but it happens.”

Although there are many hardships that come across when being a counselor, Mr. Freehling loves his job nonetheless. He enjoys being able to help impact other student’s lives and lead them in a direction for the future. Early mornings and days filled with hard work throughout the week are mostly what his life has looked like for the years that he has been working. Of course from a student’s point of view a counselor’s job would not seem as fulfilled as it has turned out to be. Throughout his career of being a counselor Freehling has come across the creation of many great memories and looks forwards to the many more that are to come. One of Freehling proudest moments was seeing the class of 2017 graduate.

“Seeing the Class of 2017 graduate. I went through a lot with those kids and it was a very proud moment to see them graduate,” Freehling reflected. 

All in all Mr. Freehling is an amazing counselor who puts in great dedication and hard work to his job. This is something that is not often recognized in general by students in school, because none are really educated on the job of a counselor. Yet hopefully the insight into Mr. Freehling’s life has helped to put together the bigger objective of being a high school counselor.