Go Bulldogs!

Cheer Club

Go Bulldogs!

2015-2016 Cheer Team at the Homecoming Pep-Rally

Frank Silva

Frank Silva

Frank Silva

Ana Ascencio, Copy Editor

(ADVISER’S UPDATE: October 26, 2015 All sports activities have a club. If you would like more information, visit the ASB office or speak with a coach)

There are many clubs here on the Oak Hills High School campus. Each club focuses on different things and has different experiences for the students. Some of those clubs include the Cheer Club, the Gay/Straight/Alliance Club (GSA), the Book Club, the Debate club, and many more.

The Cheer Club has many requirements for joining. Anyone who wants to become a member must audition in the spring, must be athletic, must be able to memorize multiple cheers and dances, and must be able to perform in front of an audience with a smile. “It’s a lot of fun but a lot of hard work goes into it,” said Natalie Martin, a member of the cheer team. Once a student is accepted into cheerleading they are required to join a cheerleading P.E. class with the other members to practice for about 14 hours a week throughout the year. “We do games with our workouts so it is just not plain workouts,” said Martin.

The cheer team spends hours preparing for pep rallies. “It’s like making a live cartoon since we get to perform with a giant bulldog,” said English IV, bible as literature, and cheer coach, Dale Ford, “We try to make it fun and inspiring for our crowd.” Cheerleading also competes against other cheer teams in February at Knotts Berry Farm. “It’s very exciting” said cheer member, Lexi Keeper. “It’s very nerve wrecking too,” said Natalie Martin.

“The overall experience is the best,” said Ford, “We make so many great memories during the year. We do fun things like go to a 4-day cheer camp together in the summer and the beach. We become very close and like a family.  It is the best experience!”