Filed under Opinion, Showcase

What To Know When You Turn 18

5 things to know as a young adult

Teenagers feel like adults already, so as soon as they turn 18 they want to be treated and act like an adult. According to the “When you turn 18: A Survival Guide for Teenagers”, from the California Bar Foundation the first big thing young adults attempt to do is move out of the house. What many teens do not know is the correct precautions to take when reading contract agreements looking for a place to rent.

Most teenagers do not read agreement policies otherwise known as Terms and Conditions, on websites and when new installments come out for their cell phone. So before they start trying to move out signing leases or long term contracts, what is in the contracts will be explained. Knowing the difference between a lease and contract is a good thing to know.

When looking for your first home as a teen it is probably going to be an apartment. Most of the time when an apartment is rented out it is leased, which means the landlord has a list of conditions and agreements for living in the apartment for a certain time period. For example, a landlord may rent out the apartment on a month to month basis. If the landlord decides to do that, they would have to give you advance notice if planning to raise the rent or asking you to move out. It is illegal for the landlord to unexpectedly raise the rent or decide to evict/kick you out without advanced notice. It would be smart to check the local rules  for rental housing because in some cities the landlord is restricted from raising the rent to a certain extent and the type of situations they can evict you in. You would be better off reading a written lease or contract because printed leases will often favor the landlord, just to know what you are agreeing to. Written leases often better explain your rights and obligations living there.

You are required to give a security deposit, which is a deposit the landlord keeps for property damage if it occurs while living there. However, if deciding to move there are ways to get back the deposit and rules to how long the landlord has to give back the deposit. The landlord will not clean up the property while living there it is tenants job to keep it in decent shape. The landlord can however enter your house in order to protect the property such as if there is problem with wiring or plumbing. If you are planning to move then they may show apartment to possible future renters. Any other entry is illegal without permission or a written 24-hour advanced notice. If planning to move, giving the landlord advanced notice is required, in most cases a month notice. Depending what you did the landlord may evict you for breaking any rules or any failed rent payments.

Breaking the lease can cause some trouble. All rent failed to be paid, large property damages, or renting rooms out to other people are things that you can be sued for and have to pay for and possibly pay the landlord’s attorney fees.

Some people may worry about a property owner not wanting to rent out to them due to racial or religious reasons. However, it is against the law for the landlord to refuse to rent out to a tenant due to ethnicity, race, or religious backgrounds. It is also illegal for them to refuse to rent out to someone with different sexuality preferences. The landlord can be fined and may have to pay out-of-pocket expenses and pay the claimants attorney fees.

When planning  on moving into a home, it is always important to read before signing anything. Know what you are getting yourself into. Not reading a contract can cause a lot of trouble that is not needed. Remember, read before you sign.