Filed under News, Showcase

DACA Out The Door

The DACA Program Is Coming To An End

On September 5, 2017, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals or DACA program came to a close under the Trump administration. The program had been under debate of recession since June of 2017 and primarily has to do with illegal immigration into the United States. The DACA program protects illegal immigrants from being deported if the age of entering the United States was below thirty-one, and the age requirement was later removed entirely under the Obama Administration. The illegal immigration within  the United States, the Obama Administration attempted to solve the problem with the DACA program.

The idea for the DACA program was referred back in 2007, but shot down fast by the senate. Another movement for the program happened in 2011, but did not get enough support from republican house members to successfully make it through senate. However, in a surprise turn of events, president Obama officially instated the Dreamers Act in a speech on June 15, 2012. Many republican and congressional officials saw this as an unconstitutional gesture, but with popular support amongst democratic officials, the act passed legally in 2013.

The DACA program protected over 800,000 applicants who followed under the name of “Dreamers.” A majority of these dreamers are located across California, New York, Texas, Illinois, Florida, and Arizona. DACA recipients required a $495 fee, several various forms of paperwork, and documents that showed that they met the requirements for entering the program. None of the dreamers required any form of legal representation.  

Now in 2017, the Obama administration came to a close allowing for the next president, Donald J. Trump, to take position in office. While on his campaign trail, there were very few instances of when Trump mentioned to end the DACA program, so when his presidency arrived, it left many unsurprised to see this issue appear. On June 16, 2017, the United States Department of Homeland Security announced that the DACA program set by the Obama administration was being repealed. The DACA program all together was officially ended on September 5, 2017, when Attorney General Jeff Sessions told reporters in a press meet that the program had officially ended.

In preparation of this huge decision, Jeff Sessions and the President gave congress six months to solve and plan out how the deportation of all 800,000 dreamers would be carried out. In the time of the six month grace period, a White House memo said DACA recipients should “use the time remaining on their work authorizations to prepare for and arrange their departure from the United States.” Dreamers will have the next six months to renew their work visa’s and DACA documents. Once the grace period has ended, all dreamers will be under the question of deportation.

The question stands for many dreamers, “what do we do now.” If you are a dreamer and are in search of you’re next step, there are plenty of other programs and associations to seek out to help you. It should be mentioned that the talk of ending the DACA program is still a question within congress, but a fall back plan would still be advised in the chance the act is repealed.