Are Millennials going soft?

Lazy or smarter?

Damaryz Aguilar, Writer

The economic recovery has not been kind to millennials. They make less money than previous generations and they are more likely to be unemployed and have no savings.

The opinion about some millennials is they are spoiled and lazy. Others think they are getting things handed to them instead of working for it. Their parents are trying to instill values in them to work hard for what they want and need. Parents are trying to show their children that if they want something in life they need to work for it.  Things do not come to those who do not work hard. Millennials still seem to need to be taught this. If they don’t get it together our homeless population will increase within the next 5-10 years.      

According to Forbes.com, “The myth that the millennial population is lazy, entitled and wants everything right now” is false.

To their research millennials are not lazy, rather they are more likely to be bored and not being challenged enough. Millennials are the least engaged population in the workplace, with only 29% of millennials engaged in their jobs today. Products are being raised with technology, millennials are often able to come up with ways to automate their work, create efficiencies in corporate processes and work smarter, completing more work in less time.

As said before millennials are not challenged, and in turn they become complacent. For forward-thinking companies, the desire for growth can be an incredible opportunity to challenge your young employees with projects, to do more with less and to capture their energy and excitement. The future belongs to our millennials and the next generation and the one thing they need more than anything else is strong, empowering and inspirational leadership.

The workplace is shifting to technology in general and this happens to be the generation where it changes. I think overall, for many people in the workplace the communication is changing.