ASB is Announcing: Your Flight is Boarding

Who even makes Hoco?

Homecoming Ticket

Isabella Highfill

Homecoming Ticket

Isabella Highfill, Editor/Writer/Reporter

It is officially the first dance of the 2017-2018 school year. Homecoming is on September 16, and we are running all around the world due to excitement, stress, enjoyment, and hard work. Speaking of all around the world, that is this years Homecoming Dance theme! Paris, Egypt, Rio, and Mexico are the exciting adventures the Oak Hills High School Students will be honored to experience.

Now, the only way Homecoming is possible is due to the ASB (Associate Student body) students and staff. They are the magnificent people that put this special night together. They are in charge of decorations, themes, tickets, and spirit week. Homecoming takes place in the MPR (Multi Purpose Room) on Saturday, September sixteenth and ASB plans on setting up all day while also managing to get ready for the Homecoming football game on Friday, talk about multitasking. 

“You have to be willing to take your time out of your day to do things for homecoming and it’s really time consuming in a good way. I like the process even though it gets stressful with homework and float practice and all. I like the idea and being part of it and all but it’s definitely overwhelming.”, says Lizette Sanchez, a sophomore and ASB class of 2020 secretary.   

Homecoming is in its final stages of being set up and so far everything is in its place and only a few touch up’s remain. All ASB students participated in the occasion to make the best night of Homecoming they can possibly make it to be.        

“We have to accommodate to everyone’s schedule and work together to make sure everything is right, but we always have fun and I enjoy it alot, especially doing the float even though that was the most stressful and most work because each class works on their own float. When we first got it, it was just plywood on wheel so we all had to get pretty creative”, Sanchez said.

ASB handles a lot when it becomes the week of Homecoming. They are challenged with  floats, coming up with spirit week, and the creative names, games at lunch, Homecoming day, and even decorations. Floats are a big part of  representing the classes. Each class is responsible for their own express their artistic abilities. 

“I am doing the scoring form for the floats, so that is the criteria that they get judged by and we started planning everything during the summer so once we got to school some of us worked on floats, some worked on lunchtime games, and some worked on spirit week, so no matter what we were always busy and put a lot of hard work and effort into everything. For sophomores it’s kind of hard because we’ve never really made floats before so it’s a learning process and it’s a fun one as well.” Nava included.

Creativity is a big part when it comes to ASB. It is amazing how they can transform a place or idea into something so fun and detailed and make it original or inventive. Due to the theme being around the world, ASB gets creative of how they decorate and how they set up their floats. Each class will be able to show their floats at the Homecoming game which is also set up by the ASB. Unfortunately the freshmen class does not get a float. Although, the sophomores are representing Egypt, Juniors take on Paris, and the Seniors are Rio and Mexico.

“I am excited for the dance. I always enjoy them and I look forward to how it’s all set up, they make it look so good. You’d think how could they make the MPR look like that? They do a really good job” says Emily Robbins.

ASB is excited to show off their amazing, creative talent. Along with homecoming, they also set up the pep rally and the fun games, as well as the football game. Don’t miss their wonderful floats during the game and when they announce the winner of king, queen, prince, and princess! Show support to our fantastic ASB team and see what they have in store for homecoming!