End of the Year Hall Pass Strictness

“We’ve always had the policy, it's been with us since the opening of the school” says Oak Hills High School principal Michael Capps.

Jonathan Quinteros, Writer

There is only a month left of school, and the Oak Hills High School policy rules are being enforced even more strictly for the student’s own protection. With graduation just around the corner, administration wants to help make sure that seniors do not get into trouble that results in not being able to walk at graduation.

“It seems like because of all the all calls and staff meetings people feel like it’s a new thing, we’re just putting more emphasis on it at this time,” comments Oak Hills High School principal Michael Capps.

Students and teachers have gotten more and more relaxed as the school year has gone by, and before the recent enforcement of hall passes, there would be students arriving late to classes with no excuse, which in some cases affects the student’s ability to learn and the teacher’s ability to teach. Other student’s spend unnecessary time outside of class, using the time to socialize, wander around, and even go to other classes. This problem escalates once the office or a parent asks for the student, but they cannot be found. Something that could have been avoided now becomes a security issue.

“It is our responsibility to keep safety in order, if there’s an issue the problem is on us,” says proctor Margaret Allen.

There is not just one person or group of people that are at fault, there are a lot of factors that go into reinforcing a campus rule. “When things do get out of hand it is our job to remind everybody ‘this is what we need to do,’” says Mr. Capps. It is also not fair for those that always follow the rules and get in trouble when they see people break the rules and get away with it. Everybody goes to the same school, therefore everyone has to play by the same rules. Next time you’re out, remember to carry a pass with you, which can be acquired via your teacher, substitute, or front office.

“We’re going to continue to enforce and abide by the rules that have always been in place,” says Mr. Capps.