OHHS Outstanding Teacher: Cely Echevarria

Behind the teacher's desk

graduating in '95 from csulb

graduating in '95 from csulb

graduating in '95 from csulb

graduating in '95 from csulb

Yuri Cain, Editor In Chief

Cely Echevarria, known to her students as Ms. Echevarria, was born on November 7th and is a proud Scorpio. From childhood, Ms. Echevarria has always been one for adventure as well a rebellion. These characteristics followed her not only through her childhood, but also her teenage years and adulthood.

As a child, Ms. Echevarria was born and raised in Puerto Rico. She remembers her greatest childhood memory is coming from Puerto Rico to America, where she would stay until present day. Growing up in the United States, Ms. Echevarria attended Long Beach Polytechnic High School, “Home of Scholars and Champions” for all four years. It is known for its sports, music, education, and famous alumni. Sports Illustrated named it the “Sports School of the Century” back in 2005, and some of their famous entertaining alumni include Snoop Dogg, Cameron Diaz, and Jenni Rivera. While in high school, Ms. Echevarria joined the Army ROTC program. The ROTC program helped her later in life with the discipline and officer training.

Echevarria as a baby

From high school, she went on to California State University, Long Beach, gaining her Bachelors in Criminal Justice (Law Enforcement), Bachelor in Education, and a Masters in Education. She had a great college experience and represents the school fully. While in school she had multiple part-time jobs including being a waitress, a police explorer, and a junior lifeguard. The Long Beach police explorers is a program designed for students who want to have a career in law enforcement, while the junior lifeguards offer young students the chance to learn lifeguard skills if ever needed. Although Ms. Echevarria was not the best behaved in high school, she cleaned up in college and devoted her time to studying and earning her degrees. She did not plan to be a Spanish teacher while she was in high school, but she enjoys the job now.

“High school life is so much different from when I was in school. Kids document everything these days and all we had were beepers,” stated Ms. Echevarria.

She has been working at Oak Hills High School for seven years now as the Spanish 1 teacher. Ms. Echevarria enjoys working with the staff and students at OHHS, although there are some downsides. The weather conditions are almost too much for Ms. Echevarria to bear, which keeps her cooped up in her classroom most of the time. Aside from the cold weather, Ms. Echevarria has been happy with the past seven years working at the school. She is proud to say that OHHS has a great staff and that everyone is really open and positive. She loves being a part of young people’s lives, but does have a hard time with student’s and parent’s excuses. The best part about teaching for her is getting summers off which allows her to spend more time with her family.

Ms. Echevarria has her own medium sized family with a husband and four children. Out of the her three sons and one daughter, Ms. Echevarria still finds time for her five small dogs. She lives in the High Desert, but most of her children are already grown and out of the house. She moved up the hill ten years ago, but has lived in California since she was three years old. She has a great family life and enjoys being around them, but not too close.

Ms. Echevarria is a prime example of how interesting a teacher can be if you look past their uptight schooling. From being the easter bunny at the mall during her teenage years, to propelling out of a military helicopter, she has had a thrilling time. She has an adventurous life and continues living it still to this day.

Some of Echevarria’s dogs