Stressed About Your Future?

Stressed About Your Future?

Entrance to the OHHS Career Center from the Administration Office.

Miah Pendleton

Miah Pendleton

Miah Pendleton

Miah Pendleton, Senior Section Editor

Here at Oak Hills High School we have a Career Center to help students, especially graduating seniors, learn about their future careers. Visiting the Career Center is an opportunity to learn more about what it would take to get to where students want in the future. The bulletin for scholarships is up the first week of every month.

Diane Rodriguez, also known as D-Rod, the Career Center Specialist, said, “The key to applying for scholarships for seniors is to come in and get organized, get some sample lists, sample essays, and then they need to apply. The most important part would be for students to organize their time and to start applying for scholarships now.”

There are scholarships for just about anything, you as the student just need to find the one you want that works best for you. There is a big scholarship already out for you seniors, it is called The Gate Millennium scholarship, it is a full ride scholarship to whatever college you want for all 4 years, and it is due at the end of the year. It is an intense scholarship and the Career Center advises you to come over to check it out and ask about it.

D-Rod said, “Last year one person applied for it and they got a full ride scholarship to UCLA, that one person could be you going to your dream college.”

Seniors Elena Moncada and Aries Torres shared what it is to be a senior and gave advice.  Both of these girls have been to the career center.

“I go into the career center because D-Rod is really informative and she gives good tips and recommendations and she takes us step by step on things we need to get ready for college. D-Rod is really appreciated by everyone, especially her senior AVID kids and also she lets us know if a new scholarship came out or how many people have applied, etc,” said Aries.

They are both looking for scholarships of many kinds at the career center bulletin. Elena and Aries want to give you seniors great advice and recommendations.

“Ask yourselves these questions: How would you get into a college? How are you paying for it? Are you even going to college? Going to the career center and signing up for college board really helps in being able to afford college. It’s not a lot of work and it’s worth it. You don’t need to be afraid when applying for scholarships. You either get it or you don’t,” said Elena

“Take your time and revise anything. There are many teachers out there willing to proofread or helps kids as well. Seniors applying for scholarships should actually take their time onto it and focus upon what they are doing. I don’t think you should be scared or worried when applying to scholarships because most scholarships are writing samples or need things such as letter of recommendation or your activities list, which most seniors should have by now,” said Aries.