Filed under Bulldog Life

Creating the Beats to Her Future

A musician in the making

Photo of Valeria Penaloza playing drums. Photo from Valeria.

High school is where students expect to find themselves, and discover what they want to do in the world. Most high schoolers don’t have a specific idea of what they want to do after high school, but for Valeria Penaloza, a 16 year old junior at Oak Hills High School, it is different. Between school, soccer and band practice, she finds herself slowly figuring out what she wants to do after high school. Penaloza is the drummer for her band, known as Sage, and she loves the experience.

“I realized I was a good drummer when I volunteered to play for the band at my church when they needed someone. The band members were surprised that I was able to play without having any experience playing along with a band. I ended up playing every service, and I was shocked at how good I was,” said Valeria.

Penaloza realized she was good at playing the drums and considered it her hidden talent. After her discovery, she received a drum set for Christmas during middle school and came to be really awestruck with drumming. Since then, she has grown fond of playing and has been at it for 4 years now. Practice makes perfect, and she is definitely growing as a drummer. Penaloza enjoys playing with other musicians because she is not only playing the drums, but creating music. With band practice twice a week, playing for her church, and on top of all of that keeping up with school means a busy week for Valeria. Penaloza loves it, but doesn’t have her whole heart set on drumming. She also loves to edit and make videos, and experiment with photography.

Photo of Valeria Penaloza and band members. Photo from Valeria.

Along with her hobbies, Valeria is a student athlete playing as a right wing and forward for the JV soccer team at Oak Hills High School, but the sport doesn’t capture her heart as much as her other hobbies.

“I can play soccer, but I don’t like it as much as my hobbies.””

— Valeria Penaloza states.

Penaloza has had a great experience being on the soccer team, and isn’t sure if she is going to be playing next year. Her amazing team mates and the bond that they share might just convince her to stay.

“She has so many talents like making music, playing many instruments like piano and making great videos. She is very passionate with everything she does and is really involved with church and soccer. She is someone who is really great to have as a friend,” states Jacqueline Gonzalez, a junior at Oak Hills High School.

This comes to show that Valeria has a plan, and has an idea of what she wants for herself. Close friends can see the passion she has in her hobbies and talents. Valeria sees herself creating music in the future and also doing experiments with film and photography. In 5 years she can see herself creating music and getting better at the drums. It will be exciting to see where her dreams take her.

About the Writer
Crystal Lopez, News Editor

Crystal was born on April 26, 1999. She loves dancing, cooking, cleaning, playing basketball, and playing baseball . Out of all of them, dancing is her...