Life is Beyond High School: Sandy Glick

“Love your students as if they were your own and guide them through to reach their throne, give them obstacles and make them jump, to reach that place, they will triumph”- Sandy Glick

Sandy Glick and her best friend Sandra with their kids in Silverwood Lake

Sandy Irene Glick, an ROP Elective teacher here at Oak Hills High School, is known by many and sought after for her experience and qualifications as a teacher many go to for advice. At an early age Sandy Glick was very independant as the oldest of her two sisters. She started working at the age of 13 at a mobile lunch catering truck business shelving the food and stocking the ice. Soon she became a high school student with a relatable mentality.

“I hated high school. I didn’t hate the fact that school was school, what I hated was that I struggled in school and that the teachers didn’t care. I felt like I was one of those who fell through the cracks,” said Mrs. Glick. Sadly, Mrs. Glick observes that she still hears students say the same thing today.

Mrs. Glick was not a bad teenager or a party goer, in fact, she expressed, “In high school I felt very alone. English came so hard to me, whenever they wanted us to read a book, a book that would take a week for others to read took a month for me. I was never able to stay on track.”

David Senior with His Granddaughter Layla

Mrs. Glick graduated high school “by the skin of [her] teeth,” and in the end, Mrs. Glick had all of her high school credits, but her GPA (grade-point average) was well below a 2.0.

Her college experience, however, was a whole new world.

“In high school I had no choice, in college I had all the choice. I didn’t like that I couldn’t use the bathroom and take breaks. Raising my hand made me feel like a 2 year old. In high school I couldn’t communicate with the teachers other than inside of the classroom. High school always felt like I was being put on the spot, in college they just let me learn,” explained Mrs. Glick, who now applies this idea in all of her classrooms, integrating a college mindset and giving her students and kids more freedom.

David Junior after receiving his license

David Glick Junior after receiving his license

“I want my kids to strive for the best, how can I expect my kids to get A’s if I couldn’t get them myself? I had to prove myself,” said Mrs. Glick.

College was not easy to get through, however, Mrs. Glick managed to pass with flying colors. She strived for A’s and cried when she got anything below a 90%. She had gotten married at 19 and was now a 26 year old going to school full time while pregnant. Glick was a foster mom and had just taken custody of 4 of her cousins. At one point there were 10 people in her house: 8 kids ranging from 0-16 and two adults, Mrs. Glick and her husband, David Glick.

Sandy Glick and her Daughter Madison at Huntington Beach

“It was a balancing act that I put down for myself between family, personal and school life,” she said.

It had all paid off when Mrs. Glick accomplished her goals: a 3.94 GPA, an AA in Liberal Studies, a BA in Education with Minor in English, and a Masters in Web and Digital Design in Education. Her biggest motivators were her kids.

Christopher, now 19, with his Girlfriend

Christopher Glick, now 19, with his Girlfriend

“I was going all the way, I had to prove to my kids that I could do it,” said Mrs. Glick.

Sandy Glick now has four kids: Spencer, Christopher, David Jr., and Madison, has been married for almost 25 years, is a college graduate, and has one granddaughter with a second on her way. Her third child, Oak Hills’ own David Glick, is graduating high school next year in 2018, and her daughter, Madison Glick, a sophomore, will be skipping 11th grade and graduating with her brother in 2018, both with a gpa of 3.5 of higher.

At times it might seem like the world has it out for you, which makes you wonder why you should keep trying, just remember that nothing worth doing is worth giving up on.