Latino Dance Club

"sharing our culture through dance"

Latino Dance Club

Photo Provided by Natalie Uribe

Photo Provided by Natalie Uribe

Photo Provided by Natalie Uribe

Photo Provided by Natalie Uribe

The Latino Dance Club is a traditional club that focuses on Hispanic dancing and culture. Every year the club continues to grow and students are more interested in the Hispanic dance. Latino Dance Club has been around for more than 5 years and has had plenty of different club presidents. Natalie Uribe, a senior at Oak Hills High School, is this year’s president and hopes for the club to continue when she graduates.

Natalie Uribe says, “My hispanic culture inspires me to pursue this club, also I love to dance, if you put me with any type of music I am dancing. Seeing everyone dance, and having fun together gives me a good feeling.”

Natalie is not only the president of Latino dance, she must create a balance between her team and school. Their club practices are held on Monday and Wednesday, and on other days Natalie can be found working on her academics. It is a challenging task to do both, but Natalie loves and enjoys teaching. She is inspired by her aunt to continue dancing, and her aunt helps a lot with advice and ideas for Natalie’s team. Members of Latino Dance get along well, and consider each other family. When they perform you can definitely tell that they learn their choreography well, and move with the beat. Latino dancers always perform with a partner, and enjoy it.

Kailee De La Fuente, a student and member of Latino Dance, says, “It’s fun and I get along with the people in Latino dance. We act like a family, we are always laughing and get our dances down in the little amount of time we have.”

The Hispanic culture is a major part of Latino Dance Club. The club incorporates hispanic dancing, culture and traditions into all of their performances. Members perform a variety of traditional dances, for example Bachata, Cumbia, Merengue, Salsa, and Banda. Students who aren’t familiar with the Hispanic dancing get an idea of what they look like, and can experience the amazing performances. Everyone is welcome to join Latino Dance Club regardless of their nationality. Their goal is to express the culture through dancing, and show others that dance means more than just a sequence of movements and tell stories.

I love dancing to Hispanic music, I usually only dance at family parties, but since I’ve been in Latino dance club I have been having more fun with it. I enjoy authentic Latino dancing.”

— Brittney Tremblay

The experience of Latino dance will be one to remember, and will give those who didn’t know much of the Hispanic culture more knowledge of what they are about. Dancing traditional dances, and becoming a family is what Latino dance strives for. Natalie hopes the club continues for many years after she leaves showing many more students the culture and love for dance.

Photo Provided by Natalie Uribe; 2015-2016 team