Learning about the different types of bullying…

...what their outcome is, and how we can prevent them.

[UPDATED: June 20, 2018] What do you think of when you hear the word bullying? Perhaps you might think of a big guy picking on somebody who’s a few sizes smaller than he is, taking his lunch money or teasing him in different ways. These stereotypes are sometimes accurate and can happen to anyone; however, the truth about bullying is far beyond what we see in movies or TV Shows. In this article we’re going to consider six types of bullying that tend to happen the most often. If you have another type to add to the list, wish to share your story, or want to suggest your ideas on how to prevent them, leave us a comment or email us at [email protected].

Bullying, one form of which is depicted in this staged photograph, is detrimental to students' well-being and development.

Diego Grez.
Bullying, one form of which is depicted in this staged photograph, is detrimental to students’ well-being and development.

Physical Bullying

What is it?

Physical bullying is the most serious type, everyone should be aware of what it is and how to help a victim. The different types of this kind of bullying are: fighting, practical jokes, stealing, and sexual harassment. These types are very specific and are not technically considered bullying unless the same victim is targeted repeatedly, the bullies intentionally hurt or embarrass by their victim; taking the forms of hitting, pushing, tripping, slapping, spitting, and stealing or destroying the victim’s possessions.

Verbal Bullying

What is it?

Verbal bullying, although it is not looked at as seriously as physical bullying, it can be just as harmful, but in different ways. Verbal bullies’ goals are to degrade and demean their victim, to make themselves look dominant and powerful. Verbal bullying is most common amongst girls; they are more subtle than boys and use this type of bullying along with social exclusion techniques, to dominate others and show superiority and power.

Relational Aggression

What is it?

Relational aggression happens when the victim is harmed through purposeful manipulation and damage of their peer relationships. It mostly occurs during recess or break time, according to Ophelia Facts.

Cyberbullying

What is it?

Cyberbullying is bullying that takes place on social medias, or using electronic technology, including devices like phones, computers, and tablets as well as communication tools: text messages, social media sites, chats, and even websites. Cyberbullying is different because the victims are not only bullied online, but may also get bullied in person, which causes them to have a harder time to move on from the behavior of the bully.

Cyberbullying.

Sexual Bullying

What is it?

Sexual bullying and harassment, like other types of bullying, can involve comments, gestures, actions, or attention that is intended to hurt, offend, or intimidate another person. However, with sexual bullying or sexual harassment, the intent is to humiliate a person because of their appearance, body parts, sexual orientation, or sexual activity. It may occur verbally or the bully may resort to using technology to send inappropriate text messages, pictures, or videos. Sometimes it may get physical if someone tries to kiss or touch someone who does not want to be touched.

Prejudicial Bullying

What is it?

Prejudicial bullying may take form in three different types of bullying: racist bullying, religious bullying or LGBT bullying.

• Racist bullying singles out people due to their skin color, race, or ethnic background. When it occurs, victims are taunted by peers, get called names or are excluded from their social groups because of the following reasons: hatred, fear, or lack of understanding.
  • Religious bullying mainly occurs due to the lack of knowledge and understanding about traditions, beliefs, and etiquette of different faiths. People who are different and act different, for example, Christian religions who are more conservative, may be ridiculed for studying the Bible and having more conservative viewpoints. Of course, Christianity isn’t the only religion targeted. Jewish, Catholic, Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhist are some of the bullied branches of religion.  Even atheists can be bullied for what they believe in.
  • LGBT bullying refers to being harassed, either verbally or physically, because of your sexual orientation or gender identity. Including name-calling, sexual bullying and cyber bullying. Sometimes the victim is taunted and called names because of the way they act/dress., while others are bullied for being lesbian, homosexual, bisexual or transgender, and get often treated like outcasts.
wikibully

Image by ClaudiusGothicus.

What is the outcome of bullying?

Bullying doesn’t only affect the victim, other people like the bully and the bystanders can have a tremendous negative outcome out of this. For the victim, they can experience negative physical, social, and mental health issues. They are more likely to experience depression and anxiety, increased feelings of sadness and loneliness, changes in sleep and eating patterns, and loss of interest and enjoyment over the activities they loved performing before. Not only is their academic achievement in danger but more importantly their lives. Many of us know someone or of someone who, due to bullying, has unfortunately committed suicide.

The bullies, on the other hand, become more likely to engage in violent and risky behaviors going into adulthood. Kids who bully, later in life are more likely to get involved in alcohol abuse, drugs, fights, vandalism, criminal activities, and become abusive to romantic partners, spouses, and children.

For the bystanders who witness bullying, it can be a traumatizing experience as well. And may lead them to have mental issues or other serious problems.

How can we prevent bullying from occurring?

People tend to be bullies because they think that you are scared of them. Next time someone wants to pick on you, tell them to stop and be brave. If you do, do it in front of others or in a place you would consider safe. You can also simply stay calm, and walk away. Try not to get angry if they try coming after you, just tell them to stop and simply walk away. Something that has been effective for other people getting bullied is joining a group or even a club, along with the people you like, of course. Bullies usually don’t pick on groups of people, so this way you can make sure you’ll be safer than if you were to hang out on your own.
Bullying occurs mostly at school, but it’s important to realize that it can happen anywhere, even in the workplace. Bullying is a serious matter, and it should be taken as such. If you are being bullied or know of someone who’s getting bullied, don’t be afraid to tell an adult. Get help. You shouldn’t blame yourself for it because it is not your fault. Look for help in the people you trust most. Even if you feel alone, there’s always someone who will be there for you.

Bully free zone poster posted on campus.

Ximena Guzman

Oak Hills High School is a bully free zone. Shawn Yancey, the school’s Vice President and discipline adviser, shared what the expectations are here at Oak Hills: “Oak Hills High School has zero tolerance for bullying.  We hold all of our students to a high standard for behavior, and as a result, we have minimal discipline issues.  I feel we have the best students in the entire district.”

Our Principal, Michael Capps, thinks that “bullying is a horrible thing and it’s a lot more prevalent and it happens a lot more these days due to the fact that everybody has a cellphone and access to social media.” He explained how back in his day it would’ve been a lot harder for someone to get bullied in so many different ways, but the main one still remains: verbal bullying. His advice to prevent bullying is to, as a school, have open communication with one another.

“If bullying happens, you need to have an open mind on the situation. The person being bullied needs to trust someone and tell them, whoever they may be, tell them about it so you can get the help you need,” stated Principal Capps. He expects every student to support one another if they see or hear anything about bullying so that the victim can get help. Although he admits that not everyone is going to like each other, he still expects Oak Hills students to treat each other with respect to prevent any problems with bullying.