Time to Carve Out the Meaning of a PSL

Squashing the mystery of a Pumpkin Spice Latte

Yuri Cain, Editor In Chief

As the month of October makes its way onto our calendars and the fall weather comes upon us, there are many things that people are excited for. Soon enough people will be wearing scarves and showing off their cute new boots. It’s time for carving pumpkins and trying to figure out what your Halloween costume will be this year. Since the weather has been turning so cold this fall season, there is one extremely popular way to warm yourself up, the Pumpkin Spice Latte.

“I had [a Pumpkin Spice Latte] last year and it was really good. It tasted just like pumpkin which is cool and gets you into the fall mood,” commented Sarah Taylor, a sophomore at Oak Hills High School.

The Pumpkin Spice Latte, PSL, is a hot drink that is only offered seasonally at Starbucks. Even though it had its big break from the famous Starbucks coffee chain, it has grown over to other companies as well. It’s a fall favorite for millions of people, including the students of OHHS. Not only has it made its way into the hearts of fall lovers, but also into tweets and memes. Many of the jokes can easily be found all over social media during this time.

The official release date for 2016 of the latte was September 6th. While the release date caused huge excitement, Starbucks also brought forward a new drink called the Chile Mocha. The Chile Mocha tastes like Mexican hot chocolate, which many find to be an instant tummy pleaser. With the new flavor comes new customers for the already bursting Starbucks company. Since 2003, Starbucks has sold over 200 million Pumpkin Spice Lattes and hopes to bring in new business with the Chile Mocha.

POPSUGAR, a website that publishes food reviews, had the chance to taste test the Chile Mocha. The writer for the article was Hedy Phillips, the Copy Editor for POPSUGAR, said, “Starbucks’ new Chile Mocha is like PSL’s hot and spicy cousin.” 

Either way the PSL craze will forever live on, and now the new Chile Mocha already has customers waving their money at the cashier’s face. Soon enough your children and your friend’s children will be asking for money so they can all go buy Pumpkin Spice Lattes. While it may be far or near into the future, it’s coming and you might as well enjoy a cup of your own.

Even if you decide to stay away from big time companies such as Starbucks, you can click here for a delicious Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe that is quick to make in a few easy steps.