Locker Room Lockdown

Don't Call Me On Your Cellphone

Picture taken by Yuri Cain

Picture taken by Yuri Cain

Yuri Cain, Editor In Chief

Almost all of the students have some form of an electronic device at Oak Hills High School, and so does every other high school in the High Desert. Phones have become an enormous part of students everyday lives and it does not stop there. Phone usage is everywhere in the world since technology is developing so quickly. There are plenty of places where the usage of phones is frowned upon, which can range from the movie theater to church. One place that OHHS cracks down on is in the P.E. locker rooms.

“First off it has always been a rule as long as cell phones have been around to not have them out because, for one they have cameras and can be used to either take pictures or record other [students] in the locker room. Social media has been a big problem in this area, where [students] will photograph others and shame them on social media,” says Maria Castellano, a member of staff at OHHS who works in the locker room.

There was recently a huge outrage about an ex-playboy model who took a picture of another woman in a locker room and put it up on social media. Dani Mathers, the ex-playboy model, took the picture of the anonymous woman and posted it on her snapchat quoting, “If I can’t unsee this then you can’t either.” Immediate backlash made its way to Ms. Mathers and she publicly apologized through social media.

The NO CELL PHONE Policy in the locker room is for all students’ protection, male or female. It protects their privacy and their dignity from being shamed or bullied,” Ms. Castellano states. OHHS has had the cell phone policy for as long as cell phones have been around.

To prevent bullying or shaming for any gender, the OHHS staff that works in the locker rooms makes sure that phones are put away before stepping into the locker area, and if phones are not put away, they are confiscated. Shaming someone and posting it on social media is not allowed for any age or gender. When at school or in a private locker room people have the right to feel safe and not have to worry about whether their body is on the internet.

“I have been doing this job for almost 20 years and I have seen many bad things, but the cell phone issue is the worst. To me, for someone to be able to take a picture of you and post it on social media or to show it to others for shaming reasons is wrong and should be punishable by administration or by the authorities,” Ms. Castellano commented.