Staying Kistner Strong with #RyansArmy

OHHS Teachers and Staff Stand Up for a Cure

Jim Garrett

Jim Garrett

Jim Garrett

Staying Kistner Strong with #RyansArmy

January 23, 2017

[UPDATED: 1/23/17] As a student of Oak Hills High School you may be wondering what the Kistner shirts represent. To rewind, there was a student that went to Oak Hills High School by the name of Ryan Kistner. He was loved by many and seen as a really good student and friend, since then Ryan has graduated from OHHS. The Kistner’s recently found out that Ryan Kistner was diagnosed with cancer and is now being hospitalized. When OHHS found out the terrible news, it spread like wildfire, and now we have found a way to support him.

To understand the Kistner Strong support system, you may want to know whose idea it was from the very beginning. Laurie Savage is a huge parent supporter and a personal friend of the Kistner family. She even came to OHHS and was the Principal of the Day once. It was her idea to start making the shirts to get money for the family and to show Ryan he had supporters.

Students from all schools can buy tee shirts from Savage for the price of $20. Tee shirts have been sold at Oak Hills High School, Sultana High School, and Serrano High School. Students can also go on social media and show their support by putting #ryansarmy.

“I really want Ryan to see the support that people are giving him, so I hope that students go on social media and tag him.”, Savage says. She continues on to say that she wants Ryan to be able to open his social apps and see students are supporting him and wishing him the best. All over school you can see staff and students wearing their Kistner Strong tee shirts. Some teachers even take time out of their classes to take pictures with signs and the Kistner Strong shirts. A lot of love from the school goes out to the Kistner family, especially Coach Kistner and Ryan Kistner.

“I had no idea how many people wanted to support him…”, Savage continues. When first making the shirts she thought about how the money would contribute to the Kistner family going to a resort, as a family vacation, but never in a thousand years did she imagine how much it would blow up. It started off with OHHS and spread to other schools in the district. Savage also says that she is very happy that people are showing their love to the family by buying the shirts and is excited about the fact that they are selling out. She barely has enough time to get new shirts, from her friend that owns a printing shop, before another order comes in.

Even if you do not know the Kistner family personally you can show your support by buying the tee shirts or adding Ryan on social media and putting his hashtag. It just represents how close the OHHS family is and how one simple gesture can go a long way. If you cannot buy the shirts or you do not have social media you can try to find other ways to support Ryan in his journey.

If you would like to continue the support for the Kistner family and want to purchase a Kistner Strong t-shirt, Bulldogs may purchase one from the Oak Hills High School Athletic Department (located in the main building near ASB).