African American Culture Club

Yuri Cain, Editor In Chief

There is a new club here at Oak Hills High School just waiting for new members! The African American Culture club meets on Wednesday during lunch every week. The advisor for the club is Dominique English, an English teacher, who is in room C-9. The meetings for AACC also take place in C-9.  If you haven’t noticed the signs and posters pinned all around school for AACC, then this is the article for you.

African American Culture Club is a club that is dedicated to learning the African American culture. Anyone is invited to come and explore AACC, whether they be of the heritage or if they just want to learn more about it. African American Culture Club welcomes any and all members who really want to know about the culture.

“It started of as a class assignment and she [Ms.Walls] wanted to take it outside of the classroom…”, says Ms.English, the club advisor, before letting the club president take over.

“We started it to spread different cultures, but mainly the African American culture. Almost like to spread awareness about the culture,” stated the club president. Recently, there has been a lot of commotion about black lives and people looking back into their culture. AACC is all about exploring the culture and what it is like. The club is discrimination free and allows members to join at anytime.

When asked who can join AACC, the club advisor answered with, “Anyone, any flavor, any color of the rainbow…” Often students at Oak Hills High School believe that the club is just for African American students, when in fact it is the opposite. African American Culture Club is to learn about a new culture and not hate on others for discovering new things. Different cultures is what makes AACC so cool and fun because it brings in different points of view.

“It is just a club, like a platform, where students from different cultures can come together. Even though its title is African American Culture Club most of our members are half African American and half are Hispanic or of Hispanic descent. We want to talk about our culture and they can teach us about their culture and at the same time come together and have fun.”, stated Ms.English.

Even if African American Culture Club wasn’t something that you wanted to join right away, students should go to the Wednesday club meetings in room C-9 to see what it is all about. It is a new club with a great meaning behind it. New members are always welcome to share their culture or learn about African American heritage. The more support the better!