One Restroom at a Time

One Restroom at a Time

Yuri Cain, Editor In Chief

In the 21st century there are a lot of different genders being brought forth. Some people are against it because their religion does not accept it while others are fine with and support it. With these new comings of gender, there is a set back. Gender neutral bathrooms are being pushed for people all over America and especially in California. Gender neutral bathrooms actually benefit many different types of people. Whether they be uncomfortable with being labelled to a certain gender, caregivers who have to take care of a different gender client, parents who are with their children who are a different gender. Gender neutral bathrooms are mostly accepted in places where LGBT has been allowed and supported. The bathrooms have caused many fights for bills and on media saying that not providing them is denying civil rights.

San Francisco Supervisor David Campos has taken steps to changing the fact that San Francisco hasn’t provided gender neutral bathrooms. He has planned to introduce a new bill that would make many bathrooms located in the city gender neutral.  At San Francisco City Hall, Mr. Campos announced the bill he is pushing. He was accompanied by Theresa Sparks, the Human Rights Commission director, and Kris Hayashi, the Transgender Law Center director.

One of the discipline administers, Teresa Rico, had some input on Oak Hills High School providing gender neutral bathrooms. “I have never overheard a discussion about OHHS providing gender neutral bathrooms unless administration discussed it during a cabinet meeting.” Even though Ms.Rico has never heard a discussion about gender neutral bathrooms at school, there has been plenty of talk on social media. Debates between if not allowing unisex bathrooms is denying people their civil rights or not. Many students at school are just finding their way on who they want to be or believe they are and being controlled by certain bathrooms is withholding them from truly being themselves.

A civil right is an enforceable right or privilege that is given to the people. There have been constant debates on the fact that denying gender neutral bathrooms may also be denying people their civil rights. Ms. Rico also shared her opinion saying, “I am not sure that it denies their civil rights but I do, however, feel like there is a need for the bathrooms and we, Oak Hills High school, should have at least one bathroom that would allow students to be more comfortable. Each and every student at this school should feel safe and comfortable so providing a bathroom should be talked about.”

Stephanie Barden, the head of GSA club, talked about a former student and how they were born a female but identified themselves as a male. “He would come to school each day and dread having to use the restroom. He would hold it all day, which is not only uncomfortable, but can also cause issues for females, like bladder infections.” It is the true stories like this that cause a spark all over the United States. Students have extra stress on themselves just by the thought of being labelled differently from a place that they should feel safe in. Ms.Barden continued on to say, “ At Oak Hills, we have had individual discussions with students who have needed privacy and special concerns. We have a very supportive administration that has done everything to make all students feel safe, accepted and valued here.”

Whether you are against gender neutral bathrooms or support it, we would like to hear your comments below. They are a serious thing that falls under the category of LGBT rights and causes huge discussion. Just because there isn’t much talk about it at OHHS does not mean that change will not come in the future. With Oak Hills being such a supportive school with its students, gender neutral bathrooms may be in our near future, for not only our schools but also in our cities.