How to Have a Rockin’ Summer

Photo created by Kaitlynn Koppenhaver

Photo created by Kaitlynn Koppenhaver

Photo created by Kaitlynn Koppenhaver

Photo created by Kaitlynn Koppenhaver

How to Have a Rockin’ Summer

Never have a boring summer ever again

I am certain almost every single one of your friends has been caught saying these five words, “I can’t wait for summer.” For many students, summer is a ray of hope, the light at the end of the pitch black tunnel that we like to call, school. Summer provides the perfect break from endless days filled with work, so it is important to make the most of every second. With this in mind, how does one go about living their summer vacation to the fullest?

“Summer vacation lets students relax and take a break from stressing about school. It’s where we can have endless amounts of fun and enjoy time we might not usually get with friends and family,” said junior Ashley Hart. You can either do things over summer, or you can do things that make your summer. Imagine you have just returned from summer vacation and your friend asks you what you did over the break. It would be such a shame if the only response you have is, “Nothing much.” According to junior Victor Madrid, one of the best parts of summer vacation is to have a good story when you come back.

So how do you make sure that you are full of crazy, fun stories about your summer vacation? Well, there is an endless list of possibilities. Whether you are looking for a cheap way to have a little fun and relax, or you want to celebrate with extravagance and do something unique, there is something for you. For some students, like Ashley, “A fun summer would be going to the beach all the time, hanging out with friends, and making amazing memories.” For other students, like Victor, what makes a summer worthwhile is having a lot of friends and most importantly something to do. Nobody ever wants to be caught bored over the summer, which is suppose to be one of the best times of the year. So, in order to better prepare yourself and get into the right mindset, take some time to really get these details down.

“Some key elements would be to not think about school or stress, to hang around people that have good vibes and make you laugh, and to not spend every day inside,” are the wise words of experienced vacationer Ashley Hart, who has been to Ireland, Scotland, England, and Italy. School controls much of our lives, and in order to enjoy your summer, you have to let go of all the stress and tension that comes with thinking about the place. To forget about school, just get out of the house and do something. This website, Real Simple, has a list of simple, yet fun things anyone can do over the summer. One of my personal favorites is lying under the stars on a warm summer night. I can almost guarantee you that spending at least ten minutes under the night sky will make you forget your worries. But if lying under the stars doesn’t appeal to you, then take the advice of Victor, and go to the beach, “have bonfires with friends…learn an instrument, and go to parties.” And if even these ideas don’t sound fun to you, then reserve a day, or even a week (I don’t judge) to rewatch one of your favorite TV shows, or host a movie marathon with your best friends. As Victor says, just do “anything but nothing.”

According to Seventeen, you might even find it enjoyable to exercise and stay fit. After all, you might need to after all of that time spent watching Netflix on the couch. If you really want to be productive, you can even apply for a summer job. A summer job may not sound relaxing or enjoyable, but think of the money you will make, and then imagine the endless possibilities of what you can do with the money you earn. Bottom line: just have fun and do what makes you happy.

Some teachers may expect you to read and complete summer assignments, and even though it is important to come back to school prepared, don’t let school take over your summer. Many of you have worked extremely hard to pass your classes, and you deserve a break. Many of those who are so dedicated to school often forget to enjoy themselves, and I want to tell you right now that you can go ahead and enjoy your break. Finish off these last two months with the best of your ability. Then you can sit back, relax, and as Ashley says, go on “unplanned adventures with friends and family.”