Powder Puff Girls!

Powder Puff Girls!

Yuri Cain, Editor In Chief

This year Oak Hills High School sponsored Powder Puff. Powder Puff is tackle football played by an all girls team. They undergo training with coaches from Oak Hills High School for one big game. Since Powder Puff will only have one game, they compete by class, and because there was bad weather on March 11th, the Powder Puff game was postponed to March 15th. Joining the team was open to all girls in high school along with a 15$ fee with ASB and a 20$ dollar fee without ASB to sign up. There were no tryouts, so anyone who joined could stay; however, only twenty girls from each grade level were able to participate.

Due to the high winds and the sand, the Powder Puff game was cancelled on Friday the 11th and reset for Tuesday the 15th. However, on March 14th there was nothing to stop the girls from doing what they have been practicing for weeks. Different grade levels had different colored shirts with no helmets or padding, just a tee shirt with flags around their waist. The freshman team wore pink, sophomores wore red, juniors wore gray, and seniors wore black.

For the first game they had freshmen go against the junior team. With lots of heart racing moments it ended with 6 to 0 with the junior class winning. Afterwards, they moved on to the sophomore class against the seniors which ended with seniors winning. For the final game, juniors played with the seniors and the outcome of the junior class beating the seniors.

At the game OHHS had some of the wrestling team dress up and become Powder Puff cheerleaders. During this time they stunted, did cheers to hype the crowd up, and ran to the field to create pyramids. Of course the guy cheerleaders were not going to win a championship but they kept the crowd hyped and laughing. The Powder Puff game also had a snack area that sold drinks, food, and candy. Not to forget the girls football game also had plenty of support from other students at OHHS.