Ours to lose

We can help end climate change

Ours to lose

Photo taken from Tumblr and edited by Kaitlynn Koppenhaver

Kaitlynn Koppenhaver, Editor in Chief

#OursToLose

YouTube has advocated a campaign called Ours to Lose. This campaign’s purpose is to bring awareness to the ever growing problem of climate change.  

We all love fall right, well climate change can affect this.  The leaves are changing and the air has a certain crisp to it. Climate change can take that all away. When seasons change, the weather changes, and that is what makes the colors of the leaves change. Temperature rising will cause seasons to be similar in climate, which won’t change the leaves. It could be 80 degrees in winter, so the leaves die, thinking the air is warm like summer.

“I believe it’s the people’s fault, and I think we should do something about it, like putting restrictions on cars to help the environment,” says OHHS Sophomore Conner Miller.

Do you like the sweet, smooth taste of chocolate? The world’s largest cocoa manufacturer is located in West Africa, and the ever rising temperature causes the cocoa harvest to die and prices to go up. Climate change will affect every living thing one way or another because everything is connected. Things like cars, production factories, and other burning fossil fuels help to worsen the state of our Earth. We only get one, so why treat it like we do?

In the Youtube campaign video, Joe Hanson states, “Everything is connected, climate change will affect every single thing.”

Climate change can impact things that we love such as, Fall leaves, chocolate, the ocean, coral reefs, and even skiing can be affected. Earth is ours to lose. Climate change is inevitable; temperatures have risen and in many places the weather is quite crazy, changing from a sunny 90 degree day to a rainy 50 degree day the next. What would happen if global warming could be stopped and these things we love would be saved?

Oak Hills High School teacher Ross Rowland even knows about the effects of climate change, “If we really want to keep the status quo, then education is the key, while doing your part to reduce your carbon footprint will help, it will not be enough.  There is still over a billion people without electricity. As all humans gain access to electricity, fossil fuel consumption will continue to increase, increasing global temperatures.  As people get plugged in, they need to be educated about conservation without denying them access.”

Mr. Rowland continues his statement, ”If you truly want to see change, you cannot stand on the sidelines and hope that someone else will solve the problem. Earth is the only home we know. It’s preservation for future generations is every person’s responsibility. To change the course of rising temperatures, we need to educate everyone of the potential consequences of overconsumption. We need to be vocal. We need to promote the inherent wealth of living beings and the earth regardless of their instrumental utility to human needs. We need to restructure modern societies in accordance with such ideas. So we have a choice to make as a species. Wait and see if the hypothesis regarding climate change are validated/rejected, or become a voice for change and educate everyone.”

November 30th through December 11th of 2015, the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), including one hundred and ninety nations, were brought together in Paris, France  to create a new universal binding deal to help lower the Earth’s temperature. Their hopes are to change to a new, clean, strong economy and build a foundation for years to come.  The global petition was brought to the attention of YouTube and they created a persuading video in hopes of having others sign the petition.  Just because the petition signing was in December, doesn’t mean you can’t make changes now. Go to the World Resources Institute website to learn a whole lot more on changes in our climate. On the website they speak on topics like wind power, climate change, and even gender equality.

Nobody wants all of these problems with our environment. Most people turn their head and go blind to the fact that these things are going on. What if they didn’t actually happen and our Earth was healthy and clean? Now yes, the petition is over, but you can make huge changes in your own life. Lowering your electric and gas bill can help to decrease your carbon footprint.

To learn more about chocolate and leaves go to these websites.