Let’s Get Turnt

Will "Turnt" be the new "YOLO"?

Let’s Get Turnt

Yuri Cain, Editor In Chief

Over the recent years and generations, people have been coming up with different types of slang. Whether it means something in particular or is apart of a dance seen off of social media such as Vine, Instagram or Twitter, slang has travelled the globe. With 2015 now behind us people are excited for what 2016 will bring and what new dances or slang words will come with it.

The University of Auburn stated, “The most used slang word of 2015 was turnt”. Urban dictionary had their own definition of the word turnt “A state of altered consciousness induced by alcohol or narcotics, also being happy and excited and energetic! And/or having fun.”

This definition is a clear way to acknowledge the meaning of this word. Many people use it in sentences and phrases such as; “Last night’s party was so turnt” and “Everyone in the car was getting turnt to the music” Now, while some definitions define it as using drugs or alcohol, many Middle School and High School students use it as a playful word to signify having a good time.

“I find it to be idiotic, I think it is stupid and dumb. I find it to be quite embarrassing”, says Yolanda Rodriguez, a parent of a former OHHS student. Parents mostly think of their children’s music taste and dances as being corrupt and weird. Their slang is even worse, especially when it’s in their everyday use. Some parents and older people, however, join in on the usage of slang, mostly to embarrass their children. Saying things such as “Oh honey, let’s dab” or “This welcome to the neighborhood party is going to be turnt up”.

The former Oak Hills High School student who prefers to be anonymous comments that “I think that every generation needs its own slang. I don’t use slang a lot but I understand how certain words become a trend.” Even those who do not personally use slang think that it goes down decades and maybe even centuries. People’s parents/guardians used slang when they were young and their parents shamed it as well, the cycle of slang could go down many generations.

What will 2016 bring for the students all around the world? What new dances, phrases, and slang words will be used in future? Things that we think are cool now can be just as old and disgusting to use as YOLO.